Cheapest way to get Microsoft Office

Options
We are buying my 12 year old son a laptop for Christmas

In order to also make it useful for his school work, he needs Microsoft Office (Word/Excel/Powerpoint) on it

Does anyone have suggestions on the most cost effective way to do this (and I am not looking for hacked licence keys etc) - £100 seems be a lot and I am confused by the different between the subscription options (Office 365)

Does anyone know of good offers or the cheapest way to get these installed on his laptop?

Thanks

Comments

• mksysb
    mksysb Posts: 354 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just install LibreOffice - it's free!
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2019 at 7:55PM
    Options
    eBay < a fiver. Don't even think about libre office or linux for someone still at school for obvious compatibility issues. Bad advice imho
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is school is part of the Microsoft Volume Licensing Program?
    If you aren't certain, read up on this MSE article & then ask school. Secondary schools are usually well placed to help you get a genuine copy, but ebay will also have the codes.

In all honesty the whole Office 365 universe is a bit of a stumper to those used to buying something with a disk but it's how MS is going, so the sooner your lad gets used to it, the better.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eBay < a fiver. Don't even think about libre office or linux for someone still at school for obvious compatibility issues. Bad advice imho
    If you re talking about the "lifetime" O365 licenses for a fiver on e-bay they are scams, little better than a pirated copy from a torrent.

Basically if it sounds too good do be true it probably isn't. I would recommend only buying from trusted sources (not e-bay and Amazon marketplace).

One options for perpetual license for Office 2016 is Ebuyer for £67

https://www.ebuyer.com/748614-office-home-student-2016-medialess-79g-04597

The link have a lot of details about the different versions of Office to help you decide which one is best suited.

Alternatively you can get Office 365 year sub from Argos or Currys for £60 that includes McAfee (can be resold for about £5) and is good for 5-6 users, so the entire household. This often drops to £40
  • dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 December 2019 at 8:49PM
    Options
    I am talking about Microsoft office 2019 pro. Bought 6 months ago for less than a fiver. My 12 year old gets a free sub to office 365 through his school. You should have been given this option if available.

This is mse
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mine's an eBay one as well. Paid more than a fiver but I've had it on two computers now when one was about to die and I've had no issues.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • ententecordiale
    Options
    I've bought office professional plus 2019 from eBay for £5. Activated by calling Microsoft automated activation line with no Issue
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    that includes mcafee (can be resold for about £5

no thanks!
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    sal_III wrote: »
    If you re talking about the "lifetime" O365 licenses for a fiver on e-bay they are scams, little better than a pirated copy from a torrent.

Basically if it sounds too good do be true it probably isn't. I would recommend only buying from trusted sources (not e-bay and Amazon marketplace).

One options for perpetual license for Office 2016 is Ebuyer for £67

https://www.ebuyer.com/748614-office-home-student-2016-medialess-79g-04597

The link have a lot of details about the different versions of Office to help you decide which one is best suited.

Alternatively you can get Office 365 year sub from Argos or Currys for £60 that includes McAfee (can be resold for about £5) and is good for 5-6 users, so the entire household. This often drops to £40

Still posting this unsubstantiated nonsense?
  • username901
    Options
    OP asked where to get it cheapest, not the way that best pleases shareholders.

As above, ebay
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport