CIFAS marker and renting

Options
My parents want to leave the flat under my name when they go back to Portugal, I’m pretty sure I have a cifas marker so would the council allow it to be under my name and would they check I have a marker?

Thanks

Comments

• louisandrei
    Options
    I’ve read a similar story before. An agency has reject an application because the applicant has a Cifas marker
  • martamxrtins
    Options
    so i wouldn’t be able to have the flat under my name ?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I’ve read a similar story before. An agency has reject an application because the applicant has a Cifas marker

So what are you going to do re the issue you posted about this morning ?
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 9 December 2019 at 9:21PM
    Options
    My parents want to leave the flat under my name when they go back to Portugal, I’m pretty sure I have a cifas marker so would the council allow it to be under my name and would they check I have a marker?

Thanks
    If as you imply your parents are council tenants then it would depend on your eligibility to be added to the tenancy and/or take over the tenancy (as applicable).
    What sort of CIFAS marker do you have? What did you do?
  • louisandrei
    Options
    could you please delete my post? I'm really feeling bad and having 3 days not sleeping
  • xlnc99
    xlnc99 Posts: 1,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    i guess it kinda of depends if they check. I thought it was a certain amount of instituations that check or have access to your CIFAS marker. Banks mostly.

Whether anyone doing a simple credit check can see if you have a CIFAS marker or not - i am not sure about that

Not too much information is known about this
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    xlnc99 wrote: »
    i guess it kinda of depends if they check. I thought it was a certain amount of instituations that check or have access to your CIFAS marker. Banks mostly.

Whether anyone doing a simple credit check can see if you have a CIFAS marker or not - i am not sure about that

Not too much information is known about this

Err, it is known.

A credit check will reveal slightly less information than you will see on your own file (they won't see lender names) and as the non-victim markers don't show up on your file they also don't show up on a credit check.

Plenty of CIFAS members are not banks, including some councils. What the councils are using CIFAS for isn't clear though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure