Lights from Serious Readers

Has anyone used lights from Serious Readers? http://www.serious.readers.com

They use something called Daylight Wave Technology which is supposed to benefit older eyes. It looks appealing, but the lights are not particularly cheap, and would like to hear if anyone has tried them and what they think.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 15 August 2016 at 8:28PM
    I have them and in fact just bought a third. I liked the alex led lights and have two floor lamps and one desk lamp. They are very expensive but order a catalogue and then wait for the discount, I got £100 off each floor light. They are excellent for reading, which is what they were designed for. They are too heavy to move around much, hence me buying a third one as I like to read in three different places, three different chairs depending on how my back feels and if I want to raise my legs. The cable is very long. They are also excellent for crafting and jig saws etc. I did get the multi focus lamps and now feel geared up ready for those long winter nights

https://www.seriousreaders.com/categories/floor-lights
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Wow! That's a seriously expensive way to use an LED bulb.

I can't help but wonder at some of their claims, too. For instance, that the 6w LED in an 'Alex' is 6 times a bright as a 60w incandescent (https://www.seriousreaders.com/pages/compare-the-lights). So that's as bright as a 360w bulb? Ouch, if it were true, I really wouldn't want that - except maybe to floodlight my house.

I notice they seem to stay clear of using real units of light measurement, like lumens, but a 6w LED usually produces around 400lm and a 360w incandescent (if they ever existed) would actually produce more like 4,700lm.

It just makes no sense.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I looked at these for my late husband when his eyesight was fading but he wasn't prepared to pay that ridiculous price, even with a discount.

Instead we bought one of these which he thought was wonderful, a manageable price and was passed on to a crafting friend after his death.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifemax-Vision-Reading-Beige-250-1XBEI/dp/B005CUC7NQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=lighting&ie=UTF8&qid=1471334809&sr=1-10&keywords=reading+light
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I've just seen the prices of their replacement bulbs and have decided I ought to buy shares in this company.

Two examples taken at random:-

35w halogen bulb - typical price elsewhere from 65p to just under £1. From Serious Readers: £12.95!

6w LED bulb - typical price elsewhere from £2 to around £7. From Serious Readers: £39.99!
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think I might give the Amazon lamp a try instead!
  • Sterlingtimes
    Sterlingtimes Posts: 2,395 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    ThemeOne wrote: »

My experience is that the electronics peripheral to the bulb are almost as likely to fail as the bulb itself.
    I have osteoarthritis in my hands so I speak my messages into a microphone using Dragon. Some people make "typos" but I often make "speakos".
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I had those same lifemax lamps, bought them on amazon black friday. I couldn`t bear to sit reading by them as they burn too warm for me and then one broke down. I gave two away and kept one for my workshop in my garage. It is ok but not that good at giving a good light for working
  • Biggles
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    I'd look around first; the Amazon one that the link was to are old stock with CFLs, not LEDs, so the light won't be so good. Where it says 'Date first available', it's June 2011 - over five years ago. But I'm sure there are equivalents with LEDs in them now.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have one similar to the Amazon one (very easy to move and angle), bought at my husband's suggestion, when I found it difficult differentiating between embroidery thread colours by normal artificial light.

It works quite well, but I rarely do cross stitch nowadays, so it doesn't get much use.
  • I think the figure of 6x is a 6w LED will give the same output as 60W GLS type lamp.The main selling point of serious readers is they use led lamps very high CRI of 99.Incandescant lamps are not very green but have a light output that has a very high CRI.Your B&Q etc will sell LED lamps with a CRI of only 80.You could always
    buy an LED desktop lamp and put your own high CRI moneylamp in it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure