Ancestry.co.uk - Who do you think you are?

Comments

• ~Chameleon~
    ~Chameleon~ Posts: 11,956
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    learmonth wrote: »
    Strictly against the rules - you are only meant to get one free trial. If you are going to do it use a different email address and credit card - that is how they keep track of who you are.

If you have had a paid subscription which expires and you wait long enough, they will probably offer you a 20% discount on renewal.

I have kept the same account, email address and credit card so I'm not attempting to scam them in anyway. I have previously been a fully paid-up member on the top rate package so maybe they allowed a re-use of the trial periods hoping I'll continue with the membership again :confused:
    “You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”
  • LesD
    LesD Posts: 2,111
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    hethmar wrote: »
    Really pleased for you BUT - dont take someone elses research as gospel - always double check it. I remember when I first started my research a guy from USA contacted me saying he was same line and gave me bmds back to the 17th century on my paternal line. I was thrilled and though naive, I did question a few things like the 38 year old woman apparently marrying a 16 year old boy ("oh, they did things like that then") Hmm, and the fact that the guy living in the deepest Kent countryside had an occupation which would require him to live by the Thames .......... And so on.

6 months later, I decided to check all his stuff found that from 1840 backwards he had wandered from one line to another and back again and basically it was rubbish, worse than useless. Scrapped the lot and started from scratch.

Dont want to burst your bubble :) but just be very cautious of people who send you reams of their work.

I think the Americans are really gung-ho when it comes to ancestry records. I've nearly been led up the garden path by one who couldn't tell the difference between Springfield, Massachusetts and Springfield, Essex. Perhaps he was a relative of Homer Simpson!!!

BTW, thanks for the link to FTF. Have joined.
  • lozza77
    lozza77 Posts: 134 Forumite
    blueroses wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Ancestry.co.uk 14 day free trial? :confused:

Is it for over 50's only?
  • hethmar
    hethmar Posts: 10,678
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    No not at all!! Just go to ancestry.co.uk and following the instructions.
  • Does anyone know when Ancestry will have UK census records post 1901 - or where I can access them. Signed up for the free 14 day trial and can only access census from before 1901 which is frustrating!!
  • hethmar
    Forumite
    You can now view SOME of the details of the 1911 on findmypast. Its pay to view and you quickly run up a hefty amount of money though :) But worth it if you are desperate. The 1911 wasnt due out til 2011 so we are fortunate the government relaxed a bit on the 100 year rule. Most of the relevant details can be seen but for things like disabilities.

What is it that is causing you a problem so you need the 1911? It may be there is another way round?
  • Hethmar,

In the 1901 census I can find records of where 2 of my ancestors lived, but after that nothing at all - no wedding records, and crucially no records of brothers and sisters who I know existed, but were born sometime after 1901. I'l have a look at findmypast and see if that can help.

thanks!:T
  • hethmar
    Forumite
    Jim, if you use freebmd.org (its free :)), after late 1911 mothers maiden names were added to birth registration refs. If you know the mothers maiden name you could enter the surname of the child and then the maiden name of the mum and the district and see if the missing kids come up.
  • I'll give that a go. Many thanks for your help!! :-)
  • lozza77
    lozza77 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Excellent, just a shame this is on a board where only over 50's go, as people like me are mssing out on this excellent information :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure