how many devices can you have on wifi on a router

I've been told its about 12. Im on plusnet have thir current router . We are a family of five with a smatering of smart speakers , phones pc etc .

12 devices sound daft in this day and age .

My question is this . I have a bt home hub 4 wich i have just came across . If i changed the router or set the home hub as acess point would that increase capicity .
I live in a modern house circa 2005 ,so very little brick work . Spoken to plusnet done changing wifi channels etc .

Thanks

Comments

• DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    The HH4 doesn't have any noticeable limits in my experience. Online search suggests about 45 devices, but I think that's just a recommendation to prevent WiFi congestion rather than any technical limit.
  • I've not heard of a limit, but if there is, it's certainly not 12, as I currently have 48 connected plus other that normally are but not at the moment.

You may not asked the most technical person in the room.
  • that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    edited 15 December 2019 at 2:23PM
    I'd go for a mesh. Last time i looked up mesh, a decent one could handle a maximum of 4 wifi streams without clashes... in the right scenario, where traditional can connect to one device at a time, after that it starts to share the channel and you will get signal clashes and may less throughput.

At work we support 32 connections per device, and things are slower than we like.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In theory 254, since most domestic home routers will only let you have one subnet range - there are a few exceptions but that's the exception to the rule.

However as above, other factors will come into play long before you run out of devices that the router can "see".

If you get complicated enough you can have as many devices as you need on different subnet ranges. But that's more for businesses.
  • Known problems with the Plusnet Hub Zero and the 12 device limit. Also the Hub Zero is only 2.4 GHz

If you complain to Plusnet they may send you a free Hub One - which is the same as a BT Homehub 5 - which has both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wifi

Or you can get them quite cheaply on ebay.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • I have the Plusnet home hub, one with blue light. Had issues with wifi in the evening, when everyone was sitting down to watch tv, and playing with phone, tablets etc. Some would connect randomly and by turning off others could get them to reconnect.
    It appeared we'd hit a limit.
    Solution was to turn off the 5GHz connection of the hub. haven't had a problem since.
  • Neil_Jones wrote: »
    In theory 254, since most domestic home routers will only let you have one subnet range - there are a few exceptions but that's the exception to the rule.
    They don't restrict you to specifying a /24 as the subnet mask though, so IPv4 address space on a private subnet isn't going to be an issue.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    They don't restrict you to specifying a /24 as the subnet mask though, so IPv4 address space on a private subnet isn't going to be an issue.

Indeed not ... if the router provides access to such configuration options. Some consumer devices don't. :(
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You may have a multitude of devices but even as a family of 5 how many are you using at the same time?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • bob99999 wrote: »
    I have the Plusnet home hub, one with blue light. Had issues with wifi in the evening, when everyone was sitting down to watch tv, and playing with phone, tablets etc. Some would connect randomly and by turning off others could get them to reconnect.
    It appeared we'd hit a limit.
    Solution was to turn off the 5GHz connection of the hub. haven't had a problem since.

Another known problem with the HomeHub 5 / Plusnet One.

Go into Advanced Settings > Wireless > 5 GHz 5 GHz Wireless Configuration and set Sync with 2.4 GHz: to NO. Put in a different SSID for the 5 GHz.

That splits the wireless into two separate settings and you probably won't hit the limit.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure