Looking for advice on selling my wedding dress

Hi everyone, I hope this is the right place to ask (please tell me if not!). I'm trying to sell my wedding dress, it's been on Preloved for what seems like ages (maybe 5 months or so) and I've had no sign of any interest. I don't know if I need to reduce the price (it's on for £750 which is less than half what it cost and the dry cleaning cost £125). Or could anyone please recommend any other sites to use (ones that won't cost loads to list the dress, ideally)? Would it be worth considering ebay? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks very much, Katie.

Comments

• 2nd hand resale of wedding dresses is not a lucrative business. I think your asking price is too high, especially given that they will need to dry clean it (so it won't feel 'new' when they get it).

I think that if you want a decent price (say £500) then you will need to wait around for someone that wants that SPECIFIC dress in your size (which may take time). For example maybe someone that has tried it on in a boutique but it is completely out of their price range so they are looking to buy it second hand. In that case make sure you have all the details - designer, model, size, list any alterations made, confirmation of whether it can be altered a size/down, lots of pictures of it etc. So it is worth considering if this is likely to happen - is this a dress still stocked brand new or is it an old range now? Also make sure you list what you paid for it!

I would definitely try eBay, but list it on a weekend where they have the £1 selling fee promotion (like now) with a buy it now that people can make offers on for collection only - cash paid on collection. Don't accept paypal for collection only items (as you can't prove they received the item if they claim via paypal).

If you are looking for a quick sale then you may have to reduce your price massively to circa £200ish?
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ebay
    Face book
    Local bridal shops
    Reduce the price
    Local newspaper
    Local shop window cards
    Bridal shows may have a 2nd hand area
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Also make sure your photos of it are excellent.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure