need new commuter bike

I need a new commuting bike. Currently have a Ridgeback hybrid 21 speed that I have basically trashed by not maintaining it. I don’t have a long commute and not too hilly so should I be looking at fixed gear or enclosed hub bikes as these are more resistant to neglect? I just saw a Bobbin Noodle in a shop which got me thinking. Not looking to spend too much - around 300 ideally but would consider spending more if it will last longer.

Thanks!

Comments

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Fixie (or a single speed) is fine for flat and light hills if you don't have any plans to move jobs and end up in a hilly area!

Neglect is easy to avoid though, weekly bike clean takes a few minutes, wipe off the chain and do a proper chain clean every so often

Don't discount a normal road bike, the B'Twin range from Decathlon and Pinnacle from Evans (both own brand bikes) give good value for money

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/217632-13-best-road-bike-bargains-under-%C2%A3500

Evans also have a few ex-demo hybrids under £300 with minimal damage which could be a bargain given the savings

https://www.evanscycles.com/bikes/hybrid-bikes_c/soiled?sort=price_inc_vat
  • I would got for a second hand alu frame hybrid. I got one for about £120 and its doing just fine.

Hubs are great in that they are protected and have a lovely smooth gear change in my experience, but if they go wrong its pretty hard to fix yourself.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    andrewf75 wrote: »
    I need a new commuting bike. Currently have a Ridgeback hybrid 21 speed that I have basically trashed by not maintaining it. ...
    Not looking to spend too much - around 300 ideally but would consider spending more if it will last longer.

It looks like your current bike retails for around that price. :-/

How trashed is the bike? Replacing the chain, chainrings, rear cassette, and brake/gear cables could transform your bike into a new one. If the gears are out of alignment, a new rear hanger (~£10) might do the job.

Depending what's knackered it might (or might not) be cheaper to replace the stuff yourself. Also, that way, you'll have a lot of the tools and knowledge you need to keep the bike maintained.

Bike maintenance is actually a lot easier than you might think. There are so many guides on YouTube too.
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Neglect is easy to avoid though, weekly bike clean takes a few minutes, wipe off the chain and do a proper chain clean every so often

Yep. Also, once you've got your head round how to adjust the brakes and gears, it gets so much quicker and easier each time you do it.

One trick I've found to keep the chain running smoothly is to use wax instead of oil on the chain. You need to degrease the chain first, and reapply the wax more regularly than oil. But, since the wax isn't "sticky" like oil, as it attracts grit it falls off the chain, instead of forming a thick sticky gunk. Since most of the wax falls off, you never need to degrease the chain again. Just wipe off the grit, and reapply the wax.

This is what I use if anyone's interested. It's brilliant:
    http://www.squirtlube.com/
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Currently have a Ridgeback hybrid 21 speed that I have basically trashed by not maintaining it.
    Define "trashed". Brakes and gears not working properly? Ask a local bike shop to quote to service or repair this bike. If the repairs sound expensive to you they may part exchange it for another bike.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Define "trashed". Brakes and gears not working properly? Ask a local bike shop to quote to service or repair this bike. If the repairs sound expensive to you they may part exchange it for another bike.

repairs of nearly £200 to replace various parts so effectively not worth doing IMO.

I know bike maintenance is not that hard, but I don't have the time or inclination. If I buy a new one I will make a bit more effort though!

Thanks all. Think I might be looking at something similar to what I have. Will have a look at Decathlon if they are recommended.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    repairs of nearly £200 to replace various parts so effectively not worth doing IMO.

I know bike maintenance is not that hard, but I don't have the time or inclination. If I buy a new one I will make a bit more effort though!

Thanks all. Think I might be looking at something similar to what I have. Will have a look at Decathlon if they are recommended.

It's literally a matter of getting some cleaning fluid (muc off if you can afford it else poundland do their own version - same pinkish colour), spray on, wait a couple of minutes, wash off and dry. Run the pedals backwards (bike right way up) or (forwards bike upside down on a cloth) use some kitchen towel to remove any major grit. Job done for next week.

Only need major stuff like a bike service once a year if you aren't confident
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    This will be my resolution on my next bike!
  • andrewf75 wrote: »

So rather than spend £200 (probably less if you diy) on your current bike you want to spend £300 on a new one?

You do know this is supposed to be a money saving site don't you?
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Is the £200 a quote you've actually got for the bike and if so, what does that break down to? I'll admit I'm pretty lazy and tend to get the bike shop to do some of the work on my bikes but £200 seems unusually high. I pretty much destroyed a much more expensive MTB on a 24 hour ride (this was one shot during the night - https://photos.smugmug.com/Events/Velocity-Cafe-Bike-Runs/i-Wz8q2kC/0/L/DSC03130-L.jpg) and the total price to strip the entire bike down and clean it plus replace the chain, the cassette and bottom bracket was less than £200 and those are more expensive parts.

John
  • So rather than spend £200 (probably less if you diy) on your current bike you want to spend £300 on a new one?

You do know this is supposed to be a money saving site don't you?

Depends how you look at it.

I dont think spending £200 on a fixing bike that probably cost £350 as money well spent.

I would rather spend £300 and buy second hand and end up with a bike that probably cost £700 new.

I dont mean its specifically about the price when new. But for a bike that cost £700 odd new, you will be getting an awful lot of kit. There is loads of choice in the second hand market.

However if OP is only looking at new, then yes, it seems pretty silly not to fix his current bike.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure