Please help me regarding access to my son.

Spikecast
Spikecast Posts: 62 Forumite
edited 12 November 2018 at 7:12AM in MoneySaving dads
Hi all,

I’m going through a situation I never thought I would find myself in and just when I think things can’t get any worse my ex puts the boot in.

I have a 6 year old son with my ex of 7 years. We are both joint owners (mortgaged) on a property. I have had my suspicions for some months she had been seeing someone behind my back for some months but I cannot prove this other than colleagues and friends having seen them together unbeknown to me . Due to the distress it was causing in front of my son (and step daughter) due to my ex’s behaviour I agreed to vacate the property in the interest of the children.

I moved out a week ago as she was making my life a misery. I work a 3 week shift pattern whereby I get two days off evey 3-4 days which includes weekdays and weekends. She is not willing to negotiate access beyond 4 days with my son (3 days and two hours to be exact) and in light of my counter offer of 8 days access over 3 weeks she has now informed me she is withdrawing her original “offer” and has dropped it down to 3 days (14% access across my shift pattern) This would result in me not seeing my son for 13 days at one point during the 3 week period. In essence this gives her 62% access and myself 38% with a view to me increasing this access once he has adjusted to the new circumstances.

Obviously this is really distressing for me as I wish to continue to have a good relationship with my son and wish to see him as much as possible ie on all my 8 days off out of 21. She has told me she will continue to pay all bills and the full mortgage in the house until we sort out selling it or her buying me out. Within days of me moving out her new “friend” has been at the property, around my children which I feel is causing them confusion and uncessary emotional distress as I have been gone a matter of days.

I now have my own outgoings as I am renting a property around 20 minutes away from my previously family home. She has now today informed me that she has changed the locks on the property as she wasn’t happy I had entered the property by “exploiting” my son and removing items from the house which were joint assets. She is advising me she has changed the locks because she is worried how I will react to her demands for 3 days access, which she states she sees as “in place” from now. Can she legally change the locks? Where do I stand?

I am now in the process of seeking third party mediation which she is claiming she will accept however knowing how derisory her “offer” of childcare is for me I don’t see this achieving much although from the legal advice I got last week I’ve been informed we must attempt this first which I’m happy to do.

I cannot work out maintenance for my son because we haven’t agreed on any set dates and times as she assumes her proposal is set in stone to which I have rejected. Ideally I want 50/50 custody of my son but I’m not sure how realistic that is?

I’m also very concerned that she has changed the locks as I had advised her I have three estate agents attending the property this week to value it and clearly she won’t allow me access.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    pay the maintenance at present as with 0 days.

You can amend this down the line.

You will not be able to force a sale at present. So it would be a waste of money to do so.

Yes the advice is correct, you must try mediation.

Thereafter you can go to court if you aren't happy with the agreement.

Whilst she can change the locks; she cannot stop you coming in. I would however not come and go. Either return permanently or leave it
  • paddy's_mum
    paddy's_mum Posts: 3,977
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Spikecast wrote: »

I .... wish to see him as much as possible ie on all my 8 days off out of 21

she wasn’t happy I had entered the property ... removing items from the house which were joint assets

I had advised her I have three estate agents attending the property this week to value it and clearly she won’t allow me access.

I'm sorry you are going through this but, for something to think about, these 3 comments jumped out at me.

1. Eight days out of twenty one is likely to be difficult for the child disrupting nursery or school or play dates while also forcing your ex into a situation which compels her to have very frequent contact with you.

2. Unless you arranged and/or agreed on the collection of said items, I too would be livid that you had acquired things 'behind my back, as it were. If jointly owned, you do not have the right to just walk in and take them.

3. When you "advised" her, had the two of you already agreed on this course of action? If not, you should not be surprised that her response is to block your actions, which she probably sees as you being high handed and coercive.

(In any case, what you actually need is not the inflated price put forward by estate agents but a Valuation for Division done by a properly qualified Valuer)

It is early days and no doubt feelings are still very raw but a bit of courtesy and (above all) communication can oil the wheels and smooth the path. Good luck to you all.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    I'm sorry you are going through this but, for something to think about, these 3 comments jumped out at me.

1. Eight days out of twenty one is likely to be difficult for the child disrupting nursery or school or play dates while also forcing your ex into a situation which compels her to have very frequent contact with you. - to be honest 1 in 3 days (roughly) is pretty standard. Most NRPs get a weekend and 1-2 days a week in a fortnight.

2. Unless you arranged and/or agreed on the collection of said items, I too would be livid that you had acquired things 'behind my back, as it were. If jointly owned, you do not have the right to just walk in and take them.- sorry but he has as much right to take them, as she had to keep them. They're jointly owned.

3. When you "advised" her, had the two of you already agreed on this course of action? If not, you should not be surprised that her response is to block your actions, which she probably sees as you being high handed and coercive. - don't know about how she sees the actions. BUT the house wont be getting sold any time soon.

(In any case, what you actually need is not the inflated price put forward by estate agents but a Valuation for Division done by a properly qualified Valuer)

It is early days and no doubt feelings are still very raw but a bit of courtesy and (above all) communication can oil the wheels and smooth the path. Good luck to you all.
    I agree communication is key
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    Has the law changed on this recently? When last mile wanted to get some of her own items (not jointly owned) from a jointly owned home she'd moved out of and was going in when her husband wasn't there, you told her not to do this because it was potentially harrassment?

It is, caveated that it requires atleast 2 instances, and I don't recommend someone does this. BUT harassment is nothing to do with ownership.

I don't recommend someone does this; but the OP already has.

I get your point though; and I wasn't clear in my answer.

so i'll rephrase:

Entering a property you no longer live in is potentially harassment (requires 2 occurrences). So I would not recommend doing so. However in relation to ownership jointly owned property can be claimed by either party
  • Has the law changed on this recently? When last mile wanted to get some of her own items (not jointly owned) from a jointly owned home she'd moved out of and was going in when her husband wasn't there, you told her not to do this because it was potentially harrassment?

The key word is ‘she’ there.

Another example for you Comms.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    The key word is ‘she’ there.

Another example for you Comms.

Its not the same situation, that poster was continuously entering the property. A single occurrence cannot be harassment.

He / she - I honestly couldn't care less.

The question I as replying to pertained to ownership of property; which I stand by. Joint property gives both parties equal rights to take possession.

If the Op in this instance was continuing to enter, I would advise HIM to stop; I agree in that case HE would potentially be harassing his ex.
  • Comms69 wrote: »
    Its not the same situation, that poster was continuously entering the property. A single occurrence cannot be harassment.

He / she - I honestly couldn't care less.

The question I as replying to pertained to ownership of property; which I stand by. Joint property gives both parties equal rights to take possession.

If the Op in this instance was continuing to enter, I would advise HIM to stop; I agree in that case HE would potentially be harassing his ex.

No point trying to convince me, I just hope you really do think about it when these are pointed out to you as you claimed you wanted to do.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    No point trying to convince me, I just hope you really do think about it when these are pointed out to you as you claimed you wanted to do.

Look, I don't want the thread to go off topic, but the OP hasn't been back for a while.

Just because someone is a woman and I say something to them, doesn't make it sexist.

The circumstances were totally different.
  • Spikecast
    Spikecast Posts: 62 Forumite
    edited 16 November 2018 at 10:24AM
    Can I advise that I did enter the property with my ex partners agreement and not otherwise. Also we had verbally agree on which items I would remove, once the items were removed she claimed I had taken them without consent. Basically she resents the fact I removed christmas presents I paid for. I of course left the ones she paid for. I also have receipts proving any ownership. I have no intention of going to our property UNLESS it is to collect my son. The situation now is that she is refusing ANY midweek access and has "revoked" my only mid-week access for no reason. I am about to instigate mediation (first assessment meeting) with a view to hopefully getting an agreement in place. If not unfortunately I will have no option but to apply to the courts.
  • Comms69
    Forumite
    I think I must be misreading something. You took back presents? And you consider a receipt proof that you still own something you gave as a gift? Or are these presents you gave your son that you want to store in your new home for his use?

I assume, but don't condone in any way, that these gifts had not yet been given and were taken to give at OPs Christmas contact.

I do not think that is the correct behaviour though. Even with my ex and the issues I'm currently having, I will be contributing towards gifts which the kids will receive at her home.

I just want the kids to have a nice Christmas.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure