PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer accepted 6 months ago and vendors show no signs of moving - ultimatum offered and no response.

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    We didn't really mind because some people don't start looking until once they've got a buyer

There's little point in looking until one is proceedable. Nor is late Autumn or early New Year a great time to find a property. As new listings tend to dry up until the spring kicks in.
  • betsie
    betsie Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Sounds like a time waster I!!!8217;m afraid. There was an elderly lady on our road who liked the idea of downsizing and sold her house about 6 times over a 6 year period. She did eventually sell but sat outside the old house frequently looking in. Sometimes people don!!!8217;t realise what they!!!8217;re doing.
    I would start looking again and find a new house you love.
  • Thanks all for your comments and stories. I really appreciate it.

We have kept our eye on Rightmove for the past 6 months and the more we looked the more we liked our house. We even went to view other properties.

The vendors rejected our ultimatum so we've withdrawn our offer (or "grown a pair" as one of the comments read. They've put the house back on the market for £5,000 more then it was up for originally so are serious about selling but clearly not in a rush to do so.

My weekend is now fully booked up with other properties and hopefully one of them will be 'the one'.

Thanks again for your comments.
  • You won't be moving to this house I wouldn't have thought, time to start looking elsewhere. Well, that time was a few months ago tbh but better late than never!

We have been looking and have been to see other properties. None of them were right and I was comparing them to the one we had an offer accepted on because it is everything we need it to be.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They've put the house back on the market for £5,000 more then it was up for originally so are serious about selling

They're not serious about selling, they're seriously deluded about selling if they think that's gonna work. One wonders if they'll ever move....

Anyway, best of luck with the new viewings - hopefully you'll see something even more perfect. And achievable.
  • hutman
    hutman Posts: 104 Forumite
    I've suffered this conundrum for a while. Offer was accepted but dragged on for eternity. Again, the vendors seemed infatuated with their house and were clinging on desperately in the viewing, which begged the question over the reason to sell. To my surprise, the chain became completed recently after some strongly worded emails to EA.

To my mind, it is grossly unfair if you put up to sell but do not have the will to back it up. You will inevitably end up baiting out a enthusiastic buyer who will start getting all the positive emotions and more importantly significant upfront costs to get it moving.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    hutman wrote: »
    To my mind, it is grossly unfair if you put up to sell but do not have the will to back it up. You will inevitably end up baiting out a enthusiastic buyer who will start getting all the positive emotions and more importantly significant upfront costs to get it moving.

Alas exactly the same can be said of buyers (especially cash/investment buyers) who can bait enthusiastic sellers - or gazunder them at the last minute.

Therefore, whilst the system isn't perfect, the imperfection is the same for both buyer and seller, so even, if not fair. Feel free to suggest one which works better for both parties...
  • Jaywood89
    Jaywood89 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Sounds like you did the right thing walking away Let!!!8217;s just hope they don!!!8217;t end up wasting someone else!!!8217;s time and money, though I!!!8217;m sure they will.

We had our vendor sell the property to someone else right under our feet even after searches and mortgage offer. Apparently someone had called offering more money so they pulled out the day before exchange!

We!!!8217;ve ended up finding something even better at £40k cheaper, that we can really put our own stamp on and has room to expand as our family does. Hoping this one goes well.

Don!!!8217;t worry you will find something better, and I!!!8217;d bet money they will still be chasing after their !!!8216;dream house!!!8217; stringing some other poor sod along

Good luck
  • westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    They've put the house back on the market for £5,000 more then it was up for originally so are serious about selling but clearly not in a rush to do so.

I'd suggest that proves the opposite, Hannah.

Your bid told them what a reasonable buyer would pay, which in turn tells them what they can afford next. They've worked out that based on what they now know their house is actually worth, what they can afford is less than what they want.

So with a ready buyer, first they faff about for months without proceeding and then they increase the price. What they're saying is that if you don't buy them the house they want, they aren't selling.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The ultimatum was pointless. It's better just to keep looking (pref. for no-chain properties) and then withdraw when you find one you like the same or even more.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport