And so it begins: The Pig Vs The Mortgage

Comments

• pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ooh, I've taught many of those. Once had a child who did nothing but talk for the entire year, couldn't sit still and was very draining, lovely but draining. At the end of the year my gift was a coffee shop voucher and a note from mum.

'Enjoy a cup of tea in peace and quiet on me'

Very very welcome, thoughtful and apt.

Such a good one :rotfl:
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • pinkypig
    Today has been a good day, not without its frustrations (traffic :mad:) but good nonetheless.

I'm still pondering steps that will turn my goals into steps but in the meantime successes have included;

Visited mum and dad who are ticking along nicely.

Cheap healthy eats (overnight oats for breakfast, lo salmon pasta for lunch and batch cooked veggie curry and hm naan for dinner).

Booked car in for a service - good that its done but hope it doesn't blow my January figures.

Marking up to date.

Bins and recycling sorted out and collected

Daily cleaning tasks done

Got some ys salad and artisan bread

Less successful

1.5 litres of water drunk

Missed my spin class - stuck in traffic:(

Onwards and upwards :)

PP xx
  • CathT
    CathT Posts: 7,115 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pensions terrify me too! I work for a large public sector organisation and it usually provides a good pension but who knows what the future holds! Seeing my pension pot figured online makes no difference and I'm still clueless as to it's real value!

Definitely another one in vote of tidy house, tidy mind. I'm aiming to do a bit each morning before work but keep snoozing my alarm currently!
    Apr 2024 - part 1 - £30,337 part 2 - £24,811 Total - £55,148 43 months to go!
  • CathT wrote: »
    Pensions terrify me too! I work for a large public sector organisation and it usually provides a good pension but who knows what the future holds! Seeing my pension pot figured online makes no difference and I'm still clueless as to it's real value!

I completely agree Cath T. I don't trust that my pension will do very much for me at all - and just hoping that it serves as a bit of extra cash if and when I get to extract it!
    Mortgage when started:
    Jan 2013: £200,999; 2nd Jan 2018: £137,500; 2nd Jan 2019: £119,000; 2nd Jan 2020: £98,800; 22nd May 2020: £81,000; 27th July 2020: £71,500
    Mortgage free day planned for: [STRIKE]25th June 2025 (day before my 40th birthday!)[/STRIKE] 31st December 2021
    [/STRIKE] 31st January 2022
    Mortgage free: 2nd June 2021!!!!!!
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What an amazing series of posts in the last 36 hours! PP, thank you for "hosting" :) your positivity and application are fantastic.

As for pensions ... sigh ... I've now been retired for 16 months because of ill health, after 30 years of self employment, and I still haven't sorted what I've got, stuff gets in the way - right now, its year-end accounts in England and France, and making sure my front garden doesn't have any more surprises from Storm Eleanor.

Oh, and the health issues ... I'm pretty sure my chronic fatigue has gone, but its left my stamina and my sleep in appalling states. So although I can do more, I'm starting on the council's healthy walks programme, which is only 30 minutes, next Monday. Here's hoping I actually go ... no, I *will* go.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Fab updates PP

Another confused by pensions here ....need to make some proper time to sit down and figure if I'm paying in enough! I'm at the maximum my employer will match...but not done the maths if that's anything like enough to live off in the future! :eek:

Well done too on the running pp ! Been poorly this week so not managed to get out ...desperate to get back up and running but think I need to walk before I can run so don't make myself iller! Doh! :o

Some great teacher gifts going on in this thread too! :rotfl:
    MF planning for the simple life :beer::j
  • pinkypig
    CathT wrote: »

Definitely another one in vote of tidy house, tidy mind. I'm aiming to do a bit each morning before work but keep snoozing my alarm currently!
    I completely agree Cath T. I don't trust that my pension will do very much for me at all - and just hoping that it serves as a bit of extra cash if and when I get to extract it!
    Fab updates PP

Another confused by pensions here ....need to make some proper time to sit down and figure if I'm paying in enough! I'm at the maximum my employer will match...but not done the maths if that's anything like enough to live off in the future! :eek:

Well done too on the running pp ! Been poorly this week so not managed to get out ...desperate to get back up and running but think I need to walk before I can run so don't make myself iller! Doh! :o

Some great teacher gifts going on in this thread too! :rotfl:

Pensions are that heady mix of complicated and very important - terrifying indeed:eek: I'm petrified of doing (or not doing) something now that will have massive repercussions later.

Sorry you're feeling poorly Ella, hope you get better soon.

Welcome BPF :D

Hit snooze myself this morning Cath and it was only my second day back:o
  • pinkypig
    Karmacat wrote: »
    What an amazing series of posts in the last 36 hours! PP, thank you for "hosting" :) your positivity and application are fantastic.

As for pensions ... sigh ... I've now been retired for 16 months because of ill health, after 30 years of self employment, and I still haven't sorted what I've got, stuff gets in the way - right now, its year-end accounts in England and France, and making sure my front garden doesn't have any more surprises from Storm Eleanor.

Oh, and the health issues ... I'm pretty sure my chronic fatigue has gone, but its left my stamina and my sleep in appalling states. So although I can do more, I'm starting on the council's healthy walks programme, which is only 30 minutes, next Monday. Here's hoping I actually go ... no, I *will* go.

Hiya KC :wave:. I'm not usually so prolific. Usual, shoddy service will resume shortly:rotfl:

I hope your CFS has subsided, it must be horrid. I had a couple of weeks of feeling tired after my flu and that was enough for me, don't know how anyone copes with that long term :( Glad you feel up for your walk, I'm sure you'll enjoyit.

Congrats on managing early retirement - you're my hero:A
  • pinkypig
    It's Friday :j Still feels lovely even after a two day week - I'm such a lightweight!

Today has flown. I had a busy but good day at work and I didn't leave until I'd finished my marking and next week's planning was done:A Let's see how long that lasts ...

Other successes included;

Cheap, healthy eats (porridge, lo duck fried rice from the freezer for lunch and 'mock' roast dinner tonight - I used 2 packs of 10p carvery meat cooked in gravy, free shopium roast potatoes and lo cauli cheese and roast veg from Christmas. Cheap as chips and no effort except a bit of defrosting:D).

Drank just under 2 litres of water

Daily cleaning tasks done before work. Only took 10 mins to sweep the kitchen floor and wipe round the sink and the bathroom but what a difference. Nice to come home to:)

NSD - need more of these

Knocked back extortionate landlord's insurance renewal. £252, I found a policy via TCB for £169 and £91 cashback has tracked:money: Paid on my CB cc so that's another bit of free money! It was also a better policy as it had owner's liability included rather than having to add it as an extra.

DC on great form. Missed them being around this week. Looking forward to a bit of family time:)

Tomorrow's to dos include;

Very small food shop with a list. We'll be living off recent ys bonanza for weeks:money:

Finish tidying the garden

Help DS with homework

laundry

get out for a run

Make pizza dough ready for pizza night:)

Happy Friday to you all, have a happy, thrifty weekend:)

PP xx
  • pinkypig
    Just noticed I've gained a star :j

How exciting :D:D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback