A path out of the Jumble

Options

Comments

• Jumblerina
    Options
    I've finished the spare room declutter and I'm pleased to say that not only does it look much better, I've found £18 in W@itrose/John L@wis vouchers and an old card of S@insburys savings stamps with £10 on it.

I'm hoping I can still spend the savings stamps as they've got to be more than 10 years old! It's funny what you find in old paperwork :) I've got a bag full of shredding to do which I'll leave until later so I can focus of getting all the donations ready for tomorrow.

I've taken photos of things I'd like to sell, just got to get them listed now - tried to list some on eb@y on Monday, but couldn't get it to work! I'll try again later

Just having a little rest now before I take all the donation bags downstairs :) all that's left to be done is a tidy of the pantry and remaining cupboards.

No doubt, I'll go through and have another de-clutter when I'm feeling better and have more energy. I've tried to be pretty ruthless, particularly with my clothes, notebooks and books. I just want the house to stay tidy without me having to blitz it every few months :)

I have traditionally been one of those people who keep things in case they're going to be useful, then I just end up with a bunch of useful stuff that I don't use! So I'm taking a different approach now and thinking how likely it is that I'll use it in the next 12 months. If I can't say I will it goes to the donation bag or rubbish depending on its condition.

It's so nice to have a tidy and useable space :)
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Well done JB. You are doing great. If you do need something you have given away in the next 12 months (unlikely) you can keep an eye out in a charity shop for a duplicate/loan an item or in the worst case buy it back. At least you are not giving valuable house space to an item. Think what our homes are worth per square foot as estate agents do to see what it costs to store stuff.

You are inspiring me to declutter hard on my return :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks DIA :) that's a really good way of looking at it, I must admit being able to open a drawer or cupboard and find what I'm looking for is quite the novelty at the moment. It's what will help me to be ruthless in my de-cluttering and not buy things I don't really need in future.

I'll be here to cheer you on with your de-cluttering :T
  • Eyebright
    Eyebright Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Sounds like you've been very productive and gotten lots of de-cluttering done, it's such a nice feeling! Enjoy your organised drawers!!!xx
    POAYDBX 2020 #? 20/4000
    1 debt vs 100 days #14 20/1000
    Saving for Christmas 2020 50/500
    EF Saving 285/500
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks EB :) feeling much more organised, if not a little achy today :rotfl: hope you got chance to put your feet up x
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Morning Diary,

Woke up feeling a little achy after yesterday's de-cluttering efforts, I'm really pleased with my progress and the house is looking much better - which makes it all worth it :)

I finished off clearing out the pantry last night, focused on obvious things to throw out/donate and will go back to properly tidy later. I didn't get chance to go through the remaining two cupboards in the kitchen, so may have chance to do that later before the charity collection.

With my OH's help I've put all the bags and boxes in the front room, there are 15 bags/boxes in total. There would be more but my OH didn't go through his things in time.

After all the de-cluttering the house needs a general clean so that will be my job for today, along with doing the washing as we're due rain later/tomorrow. I also need to arrange rubbish collections for the things we've thrown out, it's difficult to get a skip where I live so I'm going to try those skip bags.

Will have a look around at prices and will order one when I get paid, I need to give the shed a good clear out too so will time it for when I can get the rubbish collected. I know my loft needs a clear out too, it's just getting in there :) think that will be a job for when the rest of the house is finished!

I've been through all my paperwork, have only kept what is needed, mortgage, insurance etc. been thinking about taking it to my local library and scanning it to a USB drive. There's nothing worse to me than paper clutter as evidenced by the mountain of shredding I've got to do today! So where I can avoid it, I will :)

I get all my bank and card statements online now - I also open and recycle all envelopes/inserts etc for anything I do get in the mail then file/shred anything else. The mountain of shredding is from before I started that, a valuable reminder not to let paperwork build up!

Hope you all have a great day :)
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    In all the de-clutter excitement, I can't believe I forgot to say, I'm very happy to report I had my third NSD in a row yesterday :D going for a fourth today, it was nearly scuppered when I learned the milk was on the turn. Yet I decided as I've got to go out tomorrow to the Dentist, I can always buy some then.

I must confess I was tempted to go get a bacon sandwich and a coffee from the cafe just up from me, I keep smelling the bacon when I take my puppy for a walk. Instead I had black coffee and toast :) I put the £5-6 I would've spent in my debt payment account, I'm learning :D
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    A 4th NSD would be impressive. I think I have only managed 3 in a row. I allocate a weekly spend so 4 NSDs in a row would make me feel so rich. A whole weeks allowance spread over 3 days instead of 4! Well done for walking past the smell of bacon too :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Thanks DIA :) NSD's are funny things, when I start to rack them up, especially in a row - I don't like to break it and spend :rotfl: which is certainly as good thing for my debt busting plans! I didn't this about it like that, it's nice to feel rich on this journey we're all on :D
  • Jumblerina
    Options
    Morning Diary,

I did it - my fourth NSD in a row :T I'm really happy as last week was quite spendy and I definitely needed to rein in it!

BHF came yesterday and collected my donations, leaving a big space in my spare room :) the wet weather means the clothes airers will be up taking up some room but who cares, a bunch of clutter has gone to a great cause.

Today will be a mildly spendy day, I'm off to the dentist to see the hygienist - already paid for as you pay at time of booking. So, my likely spends will be my bus fare (£5.10) and potentially a hot drink (£3.50?). I'm going to nip into S@insburys and see if I can spend the £10 in savings stamps I found.

I'm also out with my best friend tomorrow, I'm going to suggest we visit a local tearoom which is very reasonably priced and in a beautiful setting. We'll be able to have a little countryside walk too :) I've put £10 aside for some drinks/cake and I'll be sticking to it! In times gone by, I'd of easily spent £8-10 on coffee/cake then bought lunch too, which would be £30-40.

That's not including the things I'd buy on our days out - clothes, perfume, handbags etc. etc. I do need some new clothes as I've lost weight in the last 6 months, yet I've got some N@xt vouchers so I can use them :) I don't feel the need to shop any time soon, it's funny how a good de-clutter does that to you!

I'll be back a little later with my weekly review :) hope you all have a great day

Jumblerina x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport