*Make upto £10 a day April 2018*

Comments

• Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    apart from that, I have been busy since the wedding, recovering, washing, studying, working, etc. I know I have neglected you all again. I am sorry about that.

it is just not always convenient to sit with a laptop and I have tried posting off a tablet, but that doesn't seem to work very well either.

so will try to catch up 15 days.
  • shariann
    shariann Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aesop wrote: »
    not really the place to ask but I am so fed up with our neighbours. Since they moved in last year, we have had nothing but continuous noise day and night, 7 days a week.

they have 3 children, one a baby, 2 school age primary kids. baby has been ill since they moved in but we sometimes feel the Mum deliberately lets the baby cry and cry. I have seen her at the front door talking to her friend and letting baby scream in the house.

so I wrote a note to them to ask them to consider the noise volume considering how thin the walls are and we cannot tolerate constant noise all the time. they had friends round and the kids were blowing whistles at 1am.

the father knocked and said the baby is ill, has 3 kids. but he goes to work. he said he would try to keep the noise down, didnt realise how thin the walls were.... yes we dont make loads noise.... so you probably don't realise.

It got better for a week but then went back to normal. I am sat here with the tv volume on 80, to make a point. I don't want the tv that loud and I do not like doing it. I did say if it continued I would report them to the council and his landlord.

any advice?

Sounds like a nightmare Aesop.

Someone at work had a similar problem recently. It wasn’t a family, just one guy with mental health issues playing loud music at all hours. I think he got environmental health or someone like that involved in the end. As he is also a single man he resorted to moving back in with his parents for a few weeks to get some sleep. I’m back at work tomorrow so will ask him what he did. I think it has been sorted now so he may have some tips.

Good to ‘see’ you. Is there any news on moving?
    £10 a day April - £4/£300
    2014 £110.92 2015 £3732.30 2016 £1633.66 2017 £2991.70 2018 £3255.40
    Jan £105.50 Feb £80.47March £69.30
  • shariann
    shariann Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aesop wrote: »
    apart from that, I have been busy since the wedding, recovering, washing, studying, working, etc. I know I have neglected you all again. I am sorry about that.

it is just not always convenient to sit with a laptop and I have tried posting off a tablet, but that doesn't seem to work very well either.

so will try to catch up 15 days.

No need to apologise. We all know how hectic life can be and yours sounds busier than most.
    £10 a day April - £4/£300
    2014 £110.92 2015 £3732.30 2016 £1633.66 2017 £2991.70 2018 £3255.40
    Jan £105.50 Feb £80.47March £69.30
  • Aesop
    shariann wrote: »
    Sounds like a nightmare Aesop.

Someone at work had a similar problem recently. It wasn’t a family, just one guy with mental health issues playing loud music at all hours. I think he got environmental health or someone like that involved in the end. As he is also a single man he resorted to moving back in with his parents for a few weeks to get some sleep. I’m back at work tomorrow so will ask him what he did. I think it has been sorted now so he may have some tips.

Good to ‘see’ you. Is there any news on moving?

I think I am going to have to go environmental health and keep a diary.

the neighbour was not keen on me involving the council, he kept repeating you said you will go to the council. DH says to find out his landlady's number and tell her.

we haven't looked for anywhere yet because we need to raise money for the move.
  • Nicki_Sue
    Nicki_Sue Posts: 1,261 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    [QUOTE=Aesop;74164424]not really the place to ask but I am so fed up with our neighbours. Since they moved in last year, we have had nothing but continuous noise day and night, 7 days a week. [/QUOTE]

We moved into a new house last summer, from one end of the street to another. The previous house was fine, this one, paper thin walls. If the guy on one side of me closes a door too loudly the dogs the neighbour on the other side has part custody off barks for hours. I can hear their phone conversations (these are not new houses!) and honestly, it got to the stage where it was too much. We started looking to move. I work from home full time and was having to go elsewhere.

That said, with thin walls there isn't much you can do. We are finding it more tolerable not we're not obsessing over it (which is easy to do, every noise is a noise too much). Despite the crying on one side and screeching on the other we have got to a point where we can cope. Moving now would be foolhardy financially right now. Making the decision to put up with it has either coincided with them getting quieter, the walls suddenly thicker or my tolerance much higher.

I do really get it and sympathise though xx
    MSE-ing since 2007
  • Aesop
    Nicki_Sue wrote: »
    We moved into a new house last summer, from one end of the street to another. The previous house was fine, this one, paper thin walls. If the guy on one side of me closes a door too loudly the dogs the neighbour on the other side has part custody off barks for hours. I can hear their phone conversations (these are not new houses!) and honestly, it got to the stage where it was too much. We started looking to move. I work from home full time and was having to go elsewhere.

That said, with thin walls there isn't much you can do. We are finding it more tolerable not we're not obsessing over it (which is easy to do, every noise is a noise too much). Despite the crying on one side and screeching on the other we have got to a point where we can cope. Moving now would be foolhardy financially right now. Making the decision to put up with it has either coincided with them getting quieter, the walls suddenly thicker or my tolerance much higher.

I do really get it and sympathise though xx

Past lot of neighbours had three kids. Nowhere was the noise at this level.

When my client comes to the house. He is partially deaf. He can barely hear what i am saying to him. Yet he can clearly hear the baby next door crying for 20 mins. He asked me if she was being abused. I don't think she is. But for a nearly deaf man to ask is concerning.

I am fantastic at compartmentalising and I can ignore most noise and tune it out. This is ridiculous though. Non stop.

You can't relax and just enjoy being in your room. It's also affecting the mental health of my DH and DS.
  • Can you record the noise Aesop?

I think if you go down the environmental route, its good to keep a diary.

What about their neighbours the other side? Can you see if they are having same problem and get together to do something about it?

You have my sincere sympathies.

Years and years ago (I was about 10/11) we lived on a new council estate and we were very happy there till a drunk moved in next door. He would play Roy Orbison at all hours of the night and day, loud enough for us to hear it and then he would be up early hours smashing his bottles that he had drunk.

I can vividly remember my mam sitting on the stairs crying and saying she couldnt cope with it anymore.

It did my mam and dad a favour really as they started looking for somewhere to buy rather than rent and the next year we moved.

Crazy looking back that a semi detached house was £8,500 :eek:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Hi all. Baby is getting better every day and hopefully can go back to nursery on Tuesday after his next appointment tomorrow. I still haven't done a full week of work despite being full time..oops..

As baby just wants to cuddle me when he is ill, it means I have had a lot of sitting and lying around whilst he is sleeping. Not sure where I have got to in my posts, so this is everything this month:
    Cashback £3.76
    Citizenme £0.10
    Interest £1
    MB £253.66

I have decided to cash out any survey sites on 1 May, so nothing much of these in here this month.
    2024 decluttering: 6,865 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅
    April mini kitchen declutter challenge: 18/50
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • QueenJess
    QueenJess Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Aesop - not sure I will be much help, but I do sympathise. I used to live in a flat and the noise and general scariness from the woman downstairs (she had some severe mental health problems and really needed some help) got to the stage where we left one night at midnight and went to a hotel for 10 days before renting somewhere else as we just couldn't take it anymore.

When we bought we checked out neighbours etc and saved for a detached house.
    2024 decluttering: 6,865 ⭐️🥉⭐️🏅🏅🥈⭐️🏅🥇🏅⭐️🏅
    April mini kitchen declutter challenge: 18/50
    2024 decluttering goals: 🥉3,000 🥈4,000 🥇5,000 💎12,000 🏆 20,000
  • Matched betting terrifies me! I!!!8217;ve read the !!!8220;instructions!!!8221; a million times but I genuinely am the kind of person who!!!8217;d make a mistake!!

I'm exactly the same. I spent quite a few hours reading up on it and with the help of Mike I was ready to have a go but life got busy and I got nervous. I dont use betting sites and would hate to get it wrong.

I havent ruled it out completely and when life calms down again I may take another look.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure