Urgent Advice Please - FTB 5% Deposit

Hello All,

I would really appreciate your advice. I have found a perfect home and would love to put an offer in on it, however I have only a 5% deposit. I have used the eligibility calculator on a couple of sites and at the moment Santander is coming up with the most generous offering (more than I need to borrow). Next month I have a salary increase from £35K to £45K, and £45K is the salary I have been entering, since the current homeowners aren't looking to exchange contracts until April/May next year and therefore my salary will be £45K and will have been for 3 months. If I enter £35K into the eligibility calculator, they aren't estimating a high enough lend for me to put an offer on the home.

So my question is, how do I proceed at my mortgage application interview on Saturday? Do they take your current situation into account or the situation you will be in at the point of contract exchange? I don't know if it's worth putting in an offer now and waiting until next year to apply for the mortgage instead?

Any advice gratefully received.

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    If your sellers are happy to accept your offer since you are willing to wait so long, I would just hold off getting a mortgage arranged until you have three months payslips at your new salary.
    If you apply now the pool of lenders would be very small as you are not on the higher salary needed, and you might also find your mortgage offer expiring before you were ready to exchange.
  • muhandis
    muhandis Posts: 994 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Please note that you do not necessarily need to have 3 months of pay on the new salary before applying for a mortgage. One salary slip at the new pay will suffice for many mainstream lenders.
  • amnblog
    amnblog Posts: 12,432 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Why are you worrying about this now when nothing concrete can happen for six months?
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    MarthaP wrote: »
    the current homeowners aren't looking to exchange contracts until April/May next year
    Are you sure?

You would usually find a vendor wanting to exchange contracts early but not complete until that time next year.

Is there a newbuild somewhere in the equation? If there is, it's exchange in 28 days, complete when the builder says so...
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure