Alcohol for 17yo in restaurant

Ant555
Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
Does anyone know if its within the law for 18 year olds to buy alcoholic drinks for him/herself and also for other 17 year olds when all are sitting down for a meal at a licensed restaurant?

I think its within the law to have it purchased for you during a meal but not actually order/buy it yourself as a 17 year old (retailer may have stricter rules) but does anyone know any different?

On topic legal as opposed to moral answers please.:beer:

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It is not illegal for someone over 18 to buy a child over 16 beer, wine or cider if they are eating a table meal together in licensed premises.

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s/
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • It may well be legal, but it doesn't mean that the restaurant will permit it
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    It may well be legal, but it doesn't mean that the restaurant will permit it

This is true, reminds me of an episode of the inbetweeners!!
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Paully232000
    Paully232000 Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    Oakdene wrote: »

I will have 3 carvery dinners please:-)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You have a restaurant in your home and you need to ask this...?
  • Oakdene wrote: »

Just because you said so.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l0zGihopKc

When I was 16, me and my mates joined the local pool hall, and they had a bar where only members would be served. You had to be 18 to be a member, but they were lax at checking IDs. So, nice, no questions asked under-aged boozing was had. We were oddly sensible and never got trashed there.
  • phil24_7
    phil24_7 Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    When I was young if your dad bought you a drink at the bar you were okay to be served from there on. I used to buy rounds (with his money) when I was 10 or 12 etc and it stood me right. There was always alcohol in the house and if I ever wanted it I only had to ask. I hated almost everything we had though so I never really bothered. The lack of taboo with alcohol though meant that when my mates were getting trashed up the park on Strongbow, it didn't interest me. I could ask my mum to buy me some and drink it at home if I wanted, in the warm with the TV! lol
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,013 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Ant555 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its within the law for 18 year olds to buy alcoholic drinks for him/herself and also for other 17 year olds when all are sitting down for a meal at a licensed restaurant?

I think its within the law to have it purchased for you during a meal but not actually order/buy it yourself as a 17 year old (retailer may have stricter rules) but does anyone know any different?

On topic legal as opposed to moral answers please.:beer:

https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/alcohol-facts/alcohol-and-the-law/the-law-on-alcohol-and-under-18s/
  • Ant555
    Ant555 Posts: 1,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Thanks for all the replies and links.

I was correct in my initial assumption that it is OK but only for beer, Cider, Wine and not spirits/cocktails etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure