PayPal Disputes & Complaints - ACLS Retail - Total Joke

Options
Hi Folks,
its true what they say that you don't actually find out the true mark of a companies integrity until you scratch the surface.

Long story short, I purchased a heater from ACLS Retail (https://aclsretail.com) to allow the use of our van for my disabled son over winter.

I must admit that I was cautious about them but saw that they used Paypal for all payments. I read through the PayPal Buyer Protection T&Cs and that gave me the comfort to go ahead as I though that I would be protected. Unfortunately I was wrong.

The seller at ACLS suppled a broken heater and has done a runner. I have since attempted to resolve via PayPal Protection. This is where I have found that they are not interested in the facts and just want to close cases as quickly as they can. What's worse you can't speak to them to ask them how they reached their rationale.

They then direct you to their complaints process which I duly did. However, this too is lip service. It prompts no further review and basically palms you off with a 'We are sorry but thanks for letting us know'... basically a toothless tiger.

I have since opened a case with the FS Ombudsman but it's good for you to know that PayPal are not interested in preventing fraudsters.

Their dispute resolution and complaints process is a soundbite only. I only wish that I had known.

BEWARE of PAYPAL & ESPECIALLY ACLS Retail.

For anyone who wishes full information please see my complaint to PayPal and Ombudsman below:

PayPal Dispute Ref: PP-D-46531023

My complaint is regarding Paypal's failure to apply fair and reasoned judgement to my Paypal dispute for a faulty item that was delivered and installed by the seller (ACLS Retail) who uses Paypal for all payments.

Complaint:

1. Paypal dispute team state that I am not covered by the buyer protection. Each time, 4 different reasons. I've read the T&Cs of the protection and it clearly covers my purchase. Item purchased from seller, delivered broken, highlighted to seller but ignored me continuously and money taken.

Circumstances:
1. Item is a heater for disabled vehicle which is required for my son for use in winter.

2. Purchased from seller who delivered and installed heater on 7th June 2019. Heater was immediately faulty and not as described (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWeGOz1UFz8 where fault can be heard).

3. I informed seller on same day that item delivered by him was broken. He agreed and stated that it would need replaced with one that is not faulty. He stated that he was busy but would re-attend to replace the item.

4. Seller put this off but eventually re-attended on 27/08/19. He stated again that item was faulty and that he would replace as soon as he could.

5. Seller did not return. He has ignored all e-mails and phone calls and has keep my money whilst providing me with a broken item.

6. I tried to resolve but seller not engaging. Had to raise Paypal dispute on 20/11/19 (within the 180 days time frame which the Paypal Buyer Protection covers).

PayPal Dispute Teams decision was to deny my claim. Each time a different reason was given and are as follows:

1. 27/11/19 - Purchase ineligible for protection.
This is not the case. I have purchased an item from a seller which was delivered broken and I informed him that on the day (as detailed in Paypal Protection T&Cs).

2. 28/11/19 - Paypal then stated that item was altered in my possession.
This is completely false. As seen from the attached picture the tamperproof warranty seal is still intact. This was a clear lie from seller in an attempt to deceive Paypal. The item is unaltered and available for inspection if required. Paypal will not let me speak to the dispute team.

3. 30/11/19 - Paypal refused as I did not return the item
This appears to be yet another attempt to deceive PayPal by fraudulent seller. I am happy to return the item to the seller. However, he has numerous addresses listed on the internet (Lanark and Glasgow addresses). Had he answered my calls and e-mails I would have been happy to return the item.

4. 02/12/19 - Paypal stated that they denied the claim as the service associated with this claim was delivered. I paid for working heater to be installed. Faulty from day 1, seller taken money and does not answer calls or e-mails.

Paypal is continuing to decline my claim, changing the reason every time and despite it being covered by their T&Cs

Other information of note

1. On opening the dispute with Paypal on 20/11/19 the seller sent me e-mail to say that he would refund (this is the only correspondence that he has sent - please see attached). However, did not refund any funds at all. This is further evidence that the seller knew that he had sold me a faulty item yet PayPal have not factored this into their decision.

2. Other than the aforementioned refund e-mail, which wasn't forthcoming, the seller has not answered any of my e-mails or calls in an attempt to resolve the issues. Paypal dispute team don't seem t think that this is unreasonable on the sellers part despite advising that's how issues should be resolved.

3. Paypal dispute team have repeatedly denied my claim stating that the item has been altered. This is false and I can prove that it is unaltered and as is when installed by seller. It has a tamperproof seal (see attached) which would have to be removed for it to be altered in any way. I have stated to Paypal that it the item is free to inspection. Instead, then seem to want to just close the case based on the sellers lies in order to keep my money.

4. Paypal have also stated that the item has not been return. yet another excuse to deny the claim and close the case. I am more than happy to return it. However, buyer has multiple addresses listed on internet and has not replied to any of my correspondence to allow me to do so. Again, Paypal seem to want to just close the case as quickly as they can without any real interest in securing the facts to make a proper and informed decision.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The clip only has audio of what i assume to be the fuel pump or pump relay.

Paypal protection is not a warranty. After 5 months or more to open the claim they may see this as a warranty issue. You purchased an item and received that item.

Numerous addresses on the internet, simply return to the paypal address, that would be the important one.

Is this for a heater alone or did the same company also fit the heater?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• foolsgold99
    Options
    The clip only has audio of what i assume to be the fuel pump or pump relay.

Paypal protection is not a warranty. After 5 months or more to open the claim they may see this as a warranty issue. You purchased an item and received that item.

Numerous addresses on the internet, simply return to the paypal address, that would be the important one.

Is this for a heater alone or did the same company also fit the heater?

This is the idling fan noise. It well documented on the internet that this is down to bearing fault in manufacture and it shouldn’t make that noise at all. There is additional pump noise but that is acceptable and I knew about that.

I reported this to seller on day one when he delivered and fitted it. He said gaff he would sort it but obviously has deliberately stalled to keep my money, now not answering any emails or phone calls.

He has two addresses that I know of. If I remove it and send back he’ll either say it was broken by removal (as he fitted it) or some other lie.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is frustrating.
    In my experience you have very little protection when buying from eBay.
    If you paid Paypal using a credit card you might be able to make a charge back?
    You could raise a court case.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • foolsgold99
    Options
    Yeah, this was from sellers site and not eBay but he only takes PayPall which then removes your s75 rights of the credit card.

PayPal claim to cover you up to 180 days and to try and resolve with seller. I tried this but he obviously knows what to say to PayPal when a dispute is raised and they just take his word for it. They don’t actually read the facts and just want to close the cases as quickly as possible. All the staff are out with UK and you get a very polite but generic reply.

Buyer beware, buyer protection is just a sound bite I’m afraid.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have no personal experience, but did read that one can make a claim via CC company on payments to Paypal.
    I have successfully taken a "rogue" trader to court. It is surprisingly easy to do.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • foolsgold99
    Options
    Cheers, unfortunately the s75 does apply and my cc cut off for their action is 120 days.

Court action is good to know but what a faff.

Good for others to know the dangers of PayPal protection and the poor experience. It’s not worth the paper that it’s written on.

Also, stay clear of ACLS Retail... he’s a fraudster
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ACLS wrote: »
    personal customer details

ACLS aren't a big believer in data protection regulations, it seems!
  • Morglin
    Morglin Posts: 15,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 17 January 2020 at 9:51AM
    Options

Or that companies are supposed to get permission, from the site owners, to post in an official capacity. :wall:

Regardless of who is right or wrong, with regards to the heater, naming the OP, on a public forum, shows a lack of professionalism.
    You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands..........for instance, if they are placed around your throat, she's probably slightly upset. ;)
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Also within a period of 8 hours they've gone from 'NEVER' having heard of the customer, to suddenly having carried out a full investigation and posting all the details.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    Excellent, another suicide by social media for a company.
    When will companies learn that 1) if you fix issues, you don't get complaints in public and 2) if you're going to post on forums, don't make a complete **** of yourself when doing it.

Very unprofessional, and given their lax view of DPA / GDPR I certainly wouldn't use them!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure