cifas marker category 4, help!

louisandrei
louisandrei Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 9 December 2019 at 11:30AM in Credit file & ratings
nothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothing

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    When someone carries luggage for a friend at the airport, then the custom found drugs in the luggage, they will only prosecute the person who carries it. For the lender, it's the other way around. Does anyone know if the bank has procedure wrong?

That not really true though, is it. If they know the identity of he person behind the smuggling, they're the one that they really want. In this instance, that's you. Their procedure is correct.

How has the application been made? What have you signed with the broker?

FOS looks to be your best hope here.
  • T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    It looks like that you are passing the blame onto the broker. You mentioned false bank statements etc. assuming this is to inflate income figures. Did you send the broker this bank statement or did they offer to edit one for you? Were you consciously aware at the time that you were allowing the broker to use or providing the broker with any false information whatsoever?

If the answer is yes to one or more questions, then the marker is accurate. If not, and the broker lied on your behalf and without your knowledge, then you can report them to FOS who will advise further.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • Your family member also needs to explain their part in this. It seems you've outsourced this not once but twice, which leaves you in a weak position.
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I will do whatever to destroy the broker's reputation.

I'd be very careful what you say to achieve this. Given that you seem to have little in the way of evidence that the broker has done anything wrong and you weren't actually the one dealing with the broker, you could end up on the wrong side of a defamation case.
  • nothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothingnothing nothing nothing

Sorry - did you say something?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As posted by louisandrei

A bank has registered a Cifas marker against my name for mortgage fraud. The reason is that the broker submitted some false information to the lender. When the lender discovered a serious of false information including a fake bank statement, they didn't report the broker to Cifas, but they registered my name with Cifas without telling me.

This has already caused huge financial difficulties for me! I don't want to write the whole story here because it's too long. I raised a dispute with the lender, but the lender said they are not responsible for this investigation. However, the lender has asked me to report this broker to his company. The company said they don't investigate anything without evidence. Now, the situation is the broker's company failed to provide evidence that false information was provided by me. I didn't even sign anything to them! Now I'm waiting for the FOS to make a judgement.

Could everyone give me some advice? I'm totally !!!!ed off! First, is there anything wrong on the lender's side? Why the lender didn't report the broker to Cifas? It's not fair! Obviously the application was lastly submitted by the broker, and he makes a lot of money through the application. When someone carries luggage for a friend at the airport, then the custom found drugs in the luggage, they will only prosecute the person who carries it. For the lender, it's the other way around. Does anyone know if the bank has procedure wrong?

As to the broker, what can I do to let them admit their mistakes? Reporting to FCA and media? The broker submmited false information without my knowledge and approval, how can I prove for myself?? If there is no evidence, how to start the investigation?
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi! What is your purpose for posting this? It's just a half of the story, I will write the full story later
    It's useful for people to read for background context, or for people who have been in a similar position.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    edited 9 December 2019 at 5:47PM
    Concerning the mortgage application form.
    did you sign a blank form and let the broker complete it later
    OR
    did you sign the form after checking it and then the broker amended it subsequently
    OR
    did you sign the form knowing it contained false information
    OR
    ?

Can you explain a bit more about this 'fake' bank statement. Was it a self produced completely false bank statement or a real bank statement that had somehow been amended?

If you are going to succeed in any complaint you will need to convince that you are telling the truth. Start by trying to convince us.
  • Gaz83
    Gaz83 Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 December 2019 at 7:01PM
    the broker's company said everything is electronic so we don't need your signature. F**k off!
    When I provide evidence showing that the broker knew my situation but provided false information to the lender, the company said: we can not and will not respond further, please go to FOS.
    I really don't want to destroy the broker's livelihood, but I don't know what to do now, because my livelihood has been destroyed. I feel really bad.
    From reading this post, it seems like you've been told what to do next - go to the FOS.

If you have irrefutable evidence that it was the broker, and not you, who provided false information to the lender, and you had no knowledge this was what was happening, then it should be resolved in your favour.
    "Facism arrives as your friend. It will restore your honour, make you feel proud, protect your house, give you a job, clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you once were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you... [it] doesn't walk in saying, "our programme means militias, mass imprisonments, transportations, war and persecution."
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    the broker's company said everything is electronic so we don't need your signature. F**k off!
    When I provide evidence showing that the broker knew my situation but provided false information to the lender, the company said: we can not and will not respond further, please go to FOS.
    I really don't want to destroy the broker's livelihood, but I don't know what to do now, because my livelihood has been destroyed. I feel really bad.

I think the fact that you got a friend (or was it a family member?) to engage the broker significantly muddies the water. Perhaps you did indeed supply undoctored documents but what happened after that? Did the, let's call them an intermediary, decided to fiddle around with things to improve your chances? Perhaps the friend was "encouraged" by the broker to perhaps change things up to get it accepted. Or maybe the broker told the intermediary that they'd make the documents a little more appealing to the lender and the friend okayed this. Granted the latter two still implicate the broker here but you did agree to let the intermediary deal with the broker on your behalf, which does kind of make you culpable for their actions too.

I'm still at a loss as to why you'd leave such an important thing in the hands of a third party. It's not really something anyone should be offloading to someone else, friend/family member or not.

As far as the signature thing goes, I'm pretty sure I didn't sign anything with pen and paper when I went through a broker for a mortgage earlier this year so not having a physical signature isn't really "fishy."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure