The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

HSBC bank charge success but making excuses re: PPI

BlueStringPudding
BlueStringPudding Posts: 16 Forumite
edited 3 December 2019 at 10:19PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
Hi everyone,

BANK CHARGES SUCCESS STORY
First some good news: after using Resolver to start the claim (but having to follow it through with HSBC repeatedly by post/web because they refuse to accept Resolver comms) I finally was refunded for mis-sold packaged bank account charges to the tune of £1,733.45. Until coming across an article about it on the MSE website I didn't even know that the way they had pushed the account on me a few years ago (telling me it's the only way I could get a loan and the new account wasn't optional (I'm paraphrasing)) - wasn't strictly ethical. So I'm pleased about that. :j

PPI NOT SUCCESS STORY - TWIDDLING MY THUMBS HERE
I have had at least two PPI policies on loans from HSBC both of which I've tried to claim for through Resolver starting back in about July or August, I think. One of the insurance policies I was made to feel I had to sign in order to be eligible for the loan, and the other I didn't even know I had been paying until the day I paid off the loan in full and was told I had also paid off the insurance! "What insurance?" I asked at the time, to some uncomfortable squirmings from the member of staff and she changed the subject. This was shortly before the big PPI scandal hit the news so at the time I didn't challenge it any further. :naughty:
So I have these two mis-sold PPI claims going through. But HSBC have been dragging their heels. After months of standard issue holding letters (some had no reference numbers, one had their own reference number but some them didn't even quote either my reference numbers or account numbers so I can't match their letters to my complaints - it's like they've just popped out of a photocopier and got sent out) they finally wrote to say that because they don't have to keep records longer than 6 years they don't have to look into my case unless I can provide proof and that I had to do so within two months. So in that timeframe I sent them copies of what I had. I have dates and account numbers for both loans and the PPI paperwork for one of them - so not a great deal of proof, admittedly.
A couple of months ago I sent to the two different addresses they had written to me from, duplicated copies of these old loan/insurance details (they already had the info by email from months previously but I had to follow through with printed duplicates as they hadn't given me reference numbers to quote and I wanted to be sure someone relevant at HSBC received them). The last thing I heard from them were another two identical standard letters dated 11th October (but no acknowledgement of receipt of my paperwork) "hoping that you will allow us the opportunity to investigate." plus two copies of an ombudsmen brochure. The letters say that their investigation would take another 8 weeks.
Well, that deadline is pending soon so I am wondering what, if anything further I can do to progress this? They're really dragging their heels especially not acknowledging receipt of my paperwork. How long do I pursue this before giving up, I wonder?
Can anyone advise please?

Comments

• You wait for their investigation to complete.

They'll let you know if they need anything more from you.

They're not dragging their heels as only you benefit from the delay, not them, and it would be unlikely that they've chosen to pay you more than they need to.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    And it's not a bank charges success story, it's a packaged bank account fees success story.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • -taff wrote: »
    And it's not a bank charges success story
    Indeed, the last Bank Charges refund ( other than financial hardship cases) was more than a decade ago now; prior to the Banks winning their case in the High Court.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I saw the thread title and thought we were in for a very rare bank charges success. Shame. It would have been nice to see something different.
    Well, that deadline is pending soon so I am wondering what, if anything further I can do to progress this?

Its not a deadline. You wait. The FOS have publically said that there should not be a rush to refer it to them as the PPI complaints ballooned at the end and the complaint handling will be slower than normal.
  • Indeed, the last Bank Charges refund ( other than financial hardship cases) was more than a decade ago now; prior to the Banks winning their case in the High Court.

Never heard of it. But the fact is the bank charged me fees for a type of account I didn't need and I received the money back from them. Call it what you will.
  • SonOf wrote: »

Its not a deadline. You wait. The FOS have publically said that there should not be a rush to refer it to them as the PPI complaints ballooned at the end and the complaint handling will be slower than normal.

Thanks. It was the bank who sent me the Ombudsman brochure and suggested I can contact them if I want to. Hence asking whether I should be doing anything else. I'll take it as a no.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It was the bank who sent me the Ombudsman brochure and suggested I can contact them if I want to.

All complaints must be sent the ombudsman brochure. The wording should not suggest you contact the ombudsman after 8 weeks. It should be worded that you can contact the ombudsman if you wish. So, not a suggestion.
  • Call it what you will.
    I doubt it's for you or I to decide what to call it.

To be clear, you have been refunded the fees for a packaged bank account, not had a refund of bank charges.

You have also described the Bank's regulatory inclusion of your option of referring to the Ombudsman as a "suggestion" when it is very clearly only an advisory of your rights..
  • fizzy123
    fizzy123 Posts: 11
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    So basically I don't know where to post but i'm actually confused what has happened today. If anyone can help and let me know what will happen after. I'd appreciate it. So 5 days ago I made a purchase on boots spent just over £53 and checked my statement online and it clearly showed the money is in pending but it had been deducted from my overdraft. Delivery was due 6th december which is today but received a message on 5th saying it will be here on 7th. Now my bank stated they having maintenance done between 12am to 4am. Decided to check my statement again for some odd reason and couldn't log in at first, then realized they doing maintenance but then I somehow logged in, checked my balance and the pending payment for boots had disappeared, my overdraft balance gone back up £53 showing that the money hasn't been taken.. says on boots site that the order has been dispatched and will arrive 7th between a certain time.. like wth has happened, i check my statement and theirs no sign on the £53 from boots. Also bare in mind I was minus £285, adding the £53 from boots puts me minus £338 with only £162 to spend as my overdraft limit is £500. So at first i thought it may just be a glitch, logged out logged back in again, still shows the same thing.. now decided to try something and tried transferring £210 to my other account and somehow it went through. I am only allowed to transfer £162 because that's how much it was showing before, so how the hell i managed to transfer £210 instead. Some weird glitch happening here, will wait until parcel is delivered and see if payment will be taken if not then what to do, keep the money and run as far as i can with some £50 running boots or what LOL
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Payment will go through at some point, so don't worry about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure