I cannot get money refunded

I switched to Bulb just before it folded and I cannot get the £75 owed to me refunded by Utilita Energy who took over the accounts, any ideas?

Comments

• Penguin_
    Penguin_ Posts: 1,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Have Bulb folded? Hope not I've not long switched.
  • Penguin_ wrote: »
    Have Bulb folded? Hope not I've not long switched.
    Me too - literally switched on the 19th of this month.. can't see anything online.

OP - Did you mean ourpower? I was with them then utilita took over when they went bust. Utilita are a nightmare to deal with, not just their high tariffs but when I left them 4 months ago I didn't get a final bill or confirmation so wouldn't know if I was due anything. I'm pretty sure I actually owed them so I'm not going to chase up just in case..

Why won't they refund? Have they put the £75 you were due into your account on credit?
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • Pemajais
    Pemajais Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 November 2019 at 7:42PM
    Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. No Bulb hasn't folded. I was with Eversmart energy and switched to Bulb just before they folded. utilita, who took over their accounts, should have forwarded the money in my account but did not. Three months later I am still waiting (and chasing)
  • I’m having the exact same problem.

They refuse to even tell me how much credit I’m in with Eversmart. It’s been 3 months now and I’m not sure who to even complain to this about.

I think they are trying to steal people’s money, hoping that they will eventually forget about it
  • It is Utilita who owe you the money so, if you have not already done so, a formal written complaint to them is the first step.

If that does not yield a result within 8 weeks, then escalation to the ombudsman would be appropriate.
  • Redboot
    Redboot Posts: 22 Forumite
    I’m having the exact same problem.

They refuse to even tell me how much credit I’m in with Eversmart. It’s been 3 months now and I’m not sure who to even complain to this about.

I think they are trying to steal people’s money, hoping that they will eventually forget about it
    It is Utilita who owe you the money so, if you have not already done so, a formal written complaint to them is the first step.

If that does not yield a result within 8 weeks, then escalation to the ombudsman would be appropriate.

Whilst it is correct to say that ultimately Utilita is responsible for returning any credit from your Eversmart account, unfortunately it's not as easy as simply complaining to them. Utilita are not responsible for establishing the amount owed; that is the responsibility of the Eversmart administrator.

Until the Eversmart administrator calculates that credit and advises Utilita, then Utilita are unable to pay you.

I would suggest you contact the Eversmart administator to first clarify the current status with regards to finalising your old Eversmart account.
  • Redboot wrote: »
    Until the Eversmart administrator calculates that credit and advises Utilita, then Utilita are unable to pay you.

I would suggest you contact the Eversmart administator to first clarify the current status with regards to finalising your old Eversmart account.

There's absolutely no problem with contacting the administrator, and it may well yield helpful information, but that should not prevent beginning the complaint procedure with Utilita.

As you say, they are the ones who eventually have the responsibility to the consumer, and that includes an obligation to do what they can to ensure that the process moves forward as quickly as possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure