We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

plastic greenhouse for overwintering plants

Options
Can you use a plastic greenhouse to overwinter plants like geraniums, seedlings etc? Or can you use a summerhouse, garage or shed?

Also keeping dahlias in pots this year. Which is best place to store them? Shed, summerhouse or garage?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it gets down into the minuses, then geraniums won't survive in a plastic greenhouse. I do keep mine in an unheated but double glazed back conservatory and that keeps them alive.
    I take up the dahlia bulbs, store in paper bags, then replant in the spring.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need somewhere warm, plastic green house isn't warm at all, is the summerhouse heater. I keep mine of the living room floor next to the window. Dahlias, I lift and store to replant in the spring.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It all needs to be very dry. I put my pelargoniums, aeoniums etc inside a special bubble-wrapped old greenhouse frame inside the polytunnel and cover with extra fleece on cold nights. That works OK down here in the Wild West. :)

A wooden summerhouse might be your best bet if you adapt it a bit, but even with some chickens in it, my wooden shed goes below zero and their water freezes occasionally.
  • in_my_wellies
    Options
    I keep mine in large polystyrene boxes I get from a local greengrocer and the fresh fish counter. If it's going to be frosty I put the lids on.
    Love living in a village in the country side
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport