What's the best/worst video game of all time?

What video game stands as your favorite/least favorite game of all time?
I try and state simple facts in a nice way.

Comments

• That's a bit hard to answer, as they are relative to the technology available at the time.

I loved Manic Miner and Jetset Willy in my Commodore days, I also loved the text style adventure games.

Atari ST days, I think Bubble Bobble was one of my favourites.

Megadrive, cant really beat Sonic

Didn't have the SNES, but loved playing Super Mario World on friends (he had a Japanese version months before it was released here)

PS1, Final Fantasy Seven

Xbox, Shenmue

Then really it comes to the PC (of course many games also on consoles), but again, when I look at my first PC and it's speed, graphics capability etc and compare it with the one I've got now, they are completely different beasts.

My kids loved "Living Books" in the 90s,played them for hours.

Two of my favourite games were Myst (although completed it very quickly and was disappointed as I wanted more) and 7th Guest.

My next fav game was MS Flight Simulator

Morrowind came out and I had never seen anything like it. I still would probably name this as the game I loved the most ever.

Then I discovered online games, Loved Everquest2, then loved Lord of the rings online (until devs wrecked it).

And now we are in a situation where the choice of games is off the scale. Steam, Humble Bundle etc doing sales all the time, most people I know (myself included) have a ton of Steam games we haven't even tried yet.

Too many great games available now, not interested anymore in having the latest game, would much rather wait until the price drops by two thirds.

To name a few, Witcher 3 , The Witness, Prey (original), Dying Light, all of the Dark Souls series, Fallout series, Oblivion, Half Life 2, most of the Worms series, Saints Row 5, some of the Tomb Raider series etc etc

As for bad games, a game I hate, someone else will love. I can't stand the civilization style of games, but others play them for months.

What I call a bad game is one where it costs a lot of money and can be completed in a very very short time, or one where they've concentrated so much on the graphics and special effects, that there's zero game play, although I haven't seen that recently (mind you I rarely buy games now)

I also like zombie style survival games, Rust, 7 days to die, The Forest. But when I play those sorts of games, I play with a handful of friends I know well, not random people.
    The way things are going, soon we are all going to be victims of something or other.

Who will we blame then?
  • In the 80s nothing came close to Elite in my opinion
  • Similar to Iwanttobefree, it's hard to say definitively which games are my favourite/least favourite due to advancement but I'll give it a go;

My favourite game sometimes depends on how I'm feeling but I think I've settled on a selection of 4 games that gave me the "wow" factor and I just couldn't put down until they were completed. They were:

- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    - Pok!mon Red
    - Half Life 2
    - Fallout 3

I'd also give honourable mentions to RDR, RDR2 and GTA3.

As for my least favourite games, this is more difficult as I rarely purchase or download a game that I haven't researched a bit first.

I'd probably go for Assassins Creed Origins. Not that it was a particularly bad game, it's just I love the AC series but for one reason or another I just couldn't buy into it. I found the storyline fairly drab and I found myself booting up different games after 20mins of gameplay. Disappointing.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'd probably say the Command and Conquer titles, and the subsequant mods. I've lost countless hours of my life to those. I have around 400 games installed on Steam, another 100 or so not installed so it's hard to decide on favourites of more modern games - XCOM2 is holding my interest atm.

For most unusual game I'd say This War of Mine. Very difference concept to most games.

For story games, Subnautica was amazing - I've bought Sub Zero but haven't played it as I made the mistake of playing Subnautica in EA and it spoilt the experience. Hopefully it will be on full release in Jan.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2019 at 3:46PM
    Best game of all time is hard to choose really, it would be from a choice of Return to Castle Wolfenstein on Xbox purely for the multiplayer, Assassins creed Black Flag for the battle scenes at sea (Xbox 360) and I cant think of the other 1 at the minute.

GTA 5 was another good game, waiting for #6 now.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Best game of all time is hard to choose really, it would be from a choice of Return to Castle Wolfenstein on Xbox purely for the multiplayer, Assassins creed Black Flag for the battle scenes at sea (Xbox 360) and I cant think of the other 1 at the minute.

Have you played assassins creed odyssey? Theres tons of sea action in that. Theres some in origins too.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 October 2019 at 3:48PM
    Have you played assassins creed odyssey? Theres tons of sea action in that. Theres some in origins too.

I have DJ and its good but imo not as good as in BF.

Also have Origins but not at the point for the sea action.

Another great game was Time Crisis on PS1.
  • Geoff Crammond Grandprix 4 - In its day and still today can match most other racers for feel of driving Was awesome when it was released and still great blast from the past
  • GTA has to be at the top!
  • duggan1
    duggan1 Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Elite, in all it's forms.

Worst game? I think it's difficult to answer because I don't tend to play games I know I'm not likely to enjoy. I'd have to say though, any Rugby game made in the last 15 years have all been huge disappointments, so them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback