How do i stop mail being sent to my home address

Options
not sure if this is the right place to ask this question

I live in a rooming house with about ten other people in separate rooms and all our mail is sent to the same address and it is not safe as some of my letters have gone missing

My question is how do I stop my mail being sent to the address where I live and instead collect it in some Post Office or Office ?

Comments

• ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    You can set up mail redirection to some other address e.g. friend/relative/place of work, or you can set up a PO Box - details of how to do both are on Royal Mail website, but I believe there are charges.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Options
    The common name for the service is Poste Restante which the Post Office offers.

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/poste-restante

There are other services such as MailBoxes that offer the same service. However certain organisations won't accept PO Boxes / PR so check before you change.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Is there an address you can access which you know would be safe for your mail? If so, and it's benefits related mail, contact DWP and they can use the alternative address.
  • eskimo26
    eskimo26 Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I called PIP yesterday with a similar issue and they set up a "correspondence address" where my mail is now being sent but they said it works across all the benefits you are claiming so it's all or nothing (I prefer that anyway).

Never went through the post office or paid anything...
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    "Correspondence address", thanks eskimo26. I couldn't think of the term yesterday.
  • Wester
    Wester Posts: 257 Forumite
    edited 11 December 2019 at 1:37PM
    Options
    ThemeOne wrote: »
    You can set up mail redirection to some other address e.g. friend/relative/place of work, or you can set up a PO Box - details of how to do both are on Royal Mail website, but I believe there are charges.

The problem has come up again with my mail being stolen so now I must stop my mail being sent to the address where I live

The mail collect service is no longer available so the only other options are mail redirection or a PO Box

My question about mail redirection is can I have my mail sent to my friends house and collect it there while still living at my present address ?

My question about the PO Box is when I set up a PO Box do the royal mail send the confirmation and details about the PO Box to me by post or by e-mail . If is sent to me by post it will probably be stolen and I will be back to square one again . If the confirmation and details are sent to me by e-mail that should be ok

Somebody please help me on the subject as I am worried this is not benefits related
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Wester wrote: »
    The problem has come up again with my mail being stolen so now I must stop my mail being sent to the address where I live

The mail collect service is no longer available so the only other options are mail redirection or a PO Box

My question about mail redirection is can I have my mail sent to my friends house and collect it there while still living at my present address ?

My question about the PO Box is when I set up a PO Box do the royal mail send the confirmation and details about the PO Box to me by post or by e-mail . If is sent to me by post it will probably be stolen and I will be back to square one again . If the confirmation and details are sent to me by e-mail that should be ok

Somebody please help me on the subject as I am worried this is not benefits related

I would expect a postal confirmation to be sent for po box.
    There will be for a redirection.
    More to the pint,why didnt you set up a mail collect?
    This would have been live till September 2020.
  • Wester
    Wester Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    I would expect a postal confirmation to be sent for po box.
    There will be for a redirection.
    More to the pint,why didnt you set up a mail collect?
    This would have been live till September 2020.

Because I would have needed proof of address and the only proof of address that I could provide would have been a Bank Statement from my Bank and I had two of them already stolen in the space of a couple of weeks when I was trying to get the problem sorted out

All the Utility bills are in my landlords name

And it would not be safe for a postal confirmation for a PO Box or redirection sent to my address

On the subject of redirection could I have my mail sent to a friends house where I could collect it
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    AFAIK you can have a redirection to any address you chose, they do charge for this though
    https://www.royalmail.com/personal/receiving-mail/redirection
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport