What to do to reduce E-waste

Hi friends. As it is a general discussion, so I am sharing a thought of mine that few days ago I was reading somewhere that electronic waste is increasing every day and it is polluting our environment.So I wanted to ask you guys to share your thoughts or ideas that how can we protect our environment and how can we reduce electronic waste?

Comments

• Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Take your electronic waste to your local recycling centre.

It, or its component parts, will either be reused or recycled.

No pollution necessary.
  • amyleah
    amyleah Posts: 6 Forumite
    Thanks for the response.
    During my experience and knowledge, i have come to know these sites for recycling old gadgets.
    cashinyourgasgets.co.uk
    recyclezone.org.uk
    sellthemobile.com
    gadgetmill.co.uk
    Can you suggest which one of these should I go for?
  • I understand that companies that sell electrical equipment have to offer WEEE recycling facility to it's customers, in line with EU legislation. However with the pending Brexit this may all change.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,442
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Howard_B3 wrote: »
    I understand that companies that sell electrical equipment have to offer WEEE recycling facility to it's customers, in line with EU legislation. However with the pending Brexit this may all change.

No current legislation will change if we leave the EU. All EU law has been incorporated into UK law.
  • dan958
    dan958 Posts: 770
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I try and do my part by not buying all the new tech that comes out (as much as I can). I don't buy new phones every year, I buy one and keep it for the years it takes until it finally dies/ no longer works for not I need it to do. I also try and repair any items that I can, rather than binning and buying another.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    dan958 wrote: »
    I I also try and repair any items that I can, rather than binning and buying another.
    The problem is that at the moment, it being a 'throwaway' society, that sometimes it is cheaper to buy new than repair unless you have an older item.
    My original Dyson is still going strong and I am finally about to replace my 26 YO Zanussi washer. However today have contracted a repair man to mend my not-very-old dishwasher @ £100. That's between half to third of the cost of buying a new one......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure