Vacuum cleaner recommendations?

Comments

• Moneycat
    Moneycat Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you all for recommendations. One decision made - no Dyson. I've heard mixed feedback and as it's quite expensive, will give it a miss this time.
    Thank you DUTR for your tip regarding the filter - have to admit it, I have not done this - must check and this could well be the issue.
  • We have two dogs and have had a number of Dysons going back about ten years. Each one seems to be not as good as the last, heavier, more noisy and less effective so we looked for an alternative this time.

We recently bought a Hoover Breeze pet version and it was okay for the money and again okay as far as suction goes but it was awkward to move around and the fact you have to disconnect the main hose to use the limited wand tool is a nuisance.

So much so that we've ended up getting a Dyson Light Ball which we're currently really happy with. Its lighter, less noisy and easier to use than the last couple we've had.

It was twice the price of the Hoover however.
  • Lavendyr
    Lavendyr Posts: 2,584 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a Dyson - the upright ball one with the "Animal" attachment. The attachment works well and picks up a lot of pet hair but the hoover is forever getting clogged up so it does take a bit of cleaning out. It is quite heavy and unwieldy too. They are expensive (mine was free in return for a product review - at the time worth about £400!). It's definitely better than the previous little Electrolux we had - but then that was a £50 vac so not hugely surprised!
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sheramber wrote: »
    Have a Dyson but one of the older ones. When ours gave up after many years of faithful service we bought a reconditioned model or an older model.

It is better than my other one was.

An EU ruling has reduced the power of new vacuums. That is why we went for an older one.

It was actually Mr Dyson who pushed for it (I believe he actually wanted a tougher restriction than what was imposed) seeking to gain an advantage over his competitors who needed more powerful motors to compete with his technology.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    to those who have the pet miele, I have heard good reviews about it before.

What puts me off is I am used to an upright with a rotating brush, does the brush rotate on cylinder vacuums? (I am under the impression it doesn't) Also how long on average does the bag last, I have always had bagless before.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We have had the Shark True Pet (I think that is the name of it) for just over 12 months now and it is great.

It is corded which I know not everyone likes these days, but the cord is generously long so it goes from room to room no problem, it picks up pet hair really well and is lightweight, oh and it comes with a whole bunch of tools too.

The only downside for us is that the "bin" is quite small, so if you are picking up pet hair (like we do :) ) you will need to empty it quite often but it is a small price to pay for a great vacuum.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I have one of these, great suction, almost too much as a lot of the coloured carpet fibre seem to be picked up.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This results in the 'bin' not even lasting one sweep of the carpet.[/FONT]
  • I've recently picked up a second hand vacuum cleaner for £50 (£6-700 brand new, so clearly second hand is the MSE option!), which came from a contract cleaning company. It's a Nilfisk GU355-dual, which is ugly as anything and not marketed at the general public, but has turned out to be bloody brilliant with everything from dog and human hair to small animal bedding and general life grime. I had to use a friend's Dyson a few days ago and it seemed rather weak in comparison.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My Dyson DC01 is still going strong- picks up dog hairs perfectly and it's what ? 20 years old! In those days electric items did not have an in built obsolesence!- and yes, from what I can make out modern Dysons are not worth the money.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We have a Miele upright and I don't think I'd ever go for anything else, it really does seem to cope with cat fluff well. I was tempted by a Shark recently as the Miele is really heavy, but I've heard quite a few things about them sucking up most of the carpet fibres and not really lasting that long, so I think I'll stick with the Miele. We've never had a problem with it, although the attachments can be quite dear to replace if you break them.
  • Iamzee
    Iamzee Posts: 62 Forumite
    We have a Shark Lift-Away vacuum and it's doing good but I'm still looking for a cordless one and thinking of a dyson v series.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback