We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Keeping hens and ducks chat.

Comments

• Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    We mix our own feed for worming with Flubenvet. Our vet is acknowledged as one of the region's experts in chicken husbandry (most vets won't lower themselves!;)) and she won't use anything else herself.

We also sell eggs, but bearing in mind the investment involved in enabling real free ranging without predator attack, there is no way we come close to covering costs.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We mix our own feed for worming with Flubenvet. Our vet is acknowledged as one of the region's experts in chicken husbandry (most vets won't lower themselves!;)) and she won't use anything else herself.

We also sell eggs, but bearing in mind the investment involved in enabling real free ranging without predator attack, there is no way we come close to covering costs.

This for me too.

Verm x is a nice idea, however, I am afraid I remain unconvinced. I don't use it on our other species of animals either. We do feacal egg counts with the horses, and one of our clients uses likes to use vermx. I remain unconvinced. One horse is not date to make a decision on, but its not something that makes me rush out to change practice, considering we follow other clean pasture practise.
  • Jimmithecat
    Jimmithecat Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Nell, Peggy and nugget - 2 hybrid and 1 speckeledy - just over a year old and can count on one hand the days we've dropped from 3 to 2 eggs - I was expecting egg production to stop over the winter or them to go broody but they just keep coming - they will definitely not be culled when they stop laying - when this day comes I will try to introduce another 3 hens to the group or run a parallel coop keeping them seperate. They have layers pellets, a handful of corn at night, regular buckets of weeds or cuttings, they are completely free range in the winter and have a section of the garden fenced off now for their summer residence.
    Very happy hens and owners
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 July 2015 at 4:39PM
    Nell, Peggy and nugget - 2 hybrid and 1 speckeledy - Very happy hens and owners

YAY!!!!!! Love that!!! Very happy hens and owners!!! Count us in on that too!! Best way we think!!!

Love your hens names. How did you come up with those names?

When our hens are too old to lay and retire we just look after them the same as we have always done!! With lots of love and lots of care!! They mix in with any new rescue hens very well and we always have a good supply of eggs from them!!

We sell some of our eggs to friends and neighbours. That way the hens support themselves feed cost wise. And the eggs we have ourselves are free range and free.

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • Levi-
    Levi- Posts: 1,235 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 9 July 2015 at 4:46PM
    I love all these hen posts! Good on ya Edwink, you deffo seem to be a super caring hen-keeper, they are a lucky bunch :):) I've always loved the idea of having a group of them and having our own eggs and raising chicks, maybe one day! Keep it up Edwink and all of you, lovely to hear about all these hens being so well cared for by some lovely folk on this thread xxxxxx
    - on a mission to be debt-free by the end of 2017 - :cool:
    [STRIKE]37500 [/STRIKE] 34650
  • Levi-
    PPI Party Pooper
    PS: 100% against the culling of the hens - i would happily keep them into retirement after all their hard work :) with you all the way on that Edwink:)xx
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Levi- wrote: »
    PS: 100% against the culling of the hens - i would happily keep them into retirement after all their hard work :) with you all the way on that Edwink:)xx

If people view them as pets and only have a few, then this is possible, but with 20 or so, I can't afford to have that many pensioners and neither can those who farm them.

Also, if a decision is made to hatch chicks, an equivalent decision needs to be taken about what will be done with the 'boys.'

These are aspects people don't always consider amid the excitement of setting up their own hen keeping project.

There is a difference between wanting the best possible lives for the hens and sentimentality. I find many people, including myself at times, struggling with this.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    This is my first foray into the world of chickens. As long as they're happy and healthy, I have no intention of culling once they stop laying.

Having said that, if they were suffering in any way, I wouldn't hesitate to do the right thing by them. Yes, I'd be upset but their welfare is way more important to me than sentimentality.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It's very rare that I can get all five girls in one picture. Sorry it's not the best :o I decided to turn over done of the soil in the run. The girls are loving having a scratch through it :D

20150709_170750-1.jpg
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • Levi-
    PPI Party Pooper
    beautiful hens queen of cheap! :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income