Current Employer Requesting Details of Termination from 2nd job

My Step father had 2 jobs up to last month, they were both working for 3 days a week. He got fired from one, because he forgot to wear his ear protectors (hardly anyone wore them so it was too easy for him to also not wear them). He mentioned this to the employer at his other job and they have asked him to provide written details, meetings minutes, letter of dismissal etc.. does he have to provide them? and what if any, could the potential consequences be if he does? or if he refuses?

Thank you
Lucy

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,709
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 9 December 2012 at 7:14PM
    I would advise you post this (for a faster response) in the Employment forum.

(Blue text is a link)

However; if it were me I would be asking WHY this information is being requested.
    Mind you I would also want to know if other non-ear-protector wearers were also fired. Or not.

Is he in a union?
    Unions offer free legal advice; suggest he joins if he is working in an industry where there is a risk to his health; which, if he is obliged to wear ear protection, would be the case.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Valli wrote: »
    I would advise you post this (for a faster response) in the Employment forum.

(Blue text is a link)

However; if it were me I would be asking WHY this information is being requested.
    Mind you I would also want to know if other non-ear-protector wearers were also fired. Or not.

Is he in a union?
    Unions offer free legal advice; suggest he joins if he is working in an industry where there is a risk to his health; which, if he is obliged to wear ear protection, would be the case.

Thank you :) i've done that here, best advice so far.. is not to hand anything over.. but i'm not sure he's going to be willing to do that :(

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=57824977&posted=1#post57824977
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    lucylou32 wrote: »
    My Step father had 2 jobs up to last month, they were both working for 3 days a week. He got fired from one, because he forgot to wear his ear protectors (hardly anyone wore them so it was too easy for him to also not wear them). He mentioned this to the employer at his other job and they have asked him to provide written details, meetings minutes, letter of dismissal etc.. does he have to provide them? and what if any, could the potential consequences be if he does? or if he refuses?

Thank you
    Lucy
    No, he doesn't have to abide by the instructions of his employer.

What does he think the potential consequences could be? Maybe he should discuss this with his employer?
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    lucylou32 wrote: »

Thank you
    Lucy

Hi

It may be that his current employer is just over-reacting or being slightly over cautious but there are a number of issues to consider here. All employees have a duty in law to obey their employers reasonable instructions and employers have a duty under law to provide a safe working environment for all their employees to work in so it could be that this is where they are coming from on this. Additionally if he hasn't been employed long enough to claim unfair dismissal and the employers treat his non co-operation as a disciplinary matter he could potentially lose his job as a worst case scenario with little recourse to redress. As suggested he could of course politely request why the information is needed and even raise a grievance if on balance he still thinks that it is unreasonable in the circumstances to provide it. He could also get help from his local CAB if there are further developments.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • shocky_2
    shocky_2 Posts: 189 Forumite
    He does not have to provide the information. However, he has not worked with the current employer for long enough to accrue unfair dismissal rights. If the new employer decided to dismiss him, all he would be entitled to is notice pay. For this reason it would be best to cooperate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure