Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

Comments

• dazzer68
    dazzer68 Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    For the last four years we have used the new zealand national trust, which is valid here. For the two of us its $60 ,about £30. Theres a $ 10 postage fee, but still heck of a lot cheaper than the national trust here. Yes i would love o support the english one, but the price is just silly, and they are always bleating on about how they need more money, yet they are the Uks biggest landowner.
    We have never had truoble using the ticket, in either visiting properties or parking. Hope that helps.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Do you still get the parking sticker with the NZ deal?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Bump..........
  • Hi,

Like Roddy dogs I would be interested to know the position regarding parking; especially if you join the New Zealand Trust or after that the Scotland one. I love the idea of supporting the trust but I hardlly visit the properties as I live in Hertfordshire and there are very few here.

After some research it seems that in purely monetary terms joining the New Zealand trust is the most cost effective way but the parking is key.

If anyone has any information that would be great.

Thanks in advance.
  • dazzer68
    Sorry for delay in answer, weve been away, using our card lol. No weve never had problems with parking, using the card, we use it at national trust beach carparks in both cornwall and devon, and all the staff seem to know about it and accept it.its paid for it self already and we have only had this years card a month. Honestly theres no problem with it, it even says on the back of the card can be used in nationl trust properties in great britain. I was speaking to the chp in a cornish nt carpark and he said the best deal is o get the malta national trust card , so may look into that next year. :)
  • dazzer68
    Ps no you dont get a car sticker or magazines etc, to keep the postage costs down sending it from n.z. But old national trust uk books are easy to find.
  • pstuart
    pstuart Posts: 668 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2012 at 10:44AM
    The NZ card also covers English Heritage sites.

We used them on four sites in the SE last week, one car park was chargeable @ £2.50 which we offered to pay and was charged.

Always have a brew and a bun on site, it helps with the Blondes non moneysaving guilt.
  • claire21
    claire21 Posts: 32,747
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Would you get a parking pass if you just bought a kids membership?
  • moneylover wrote: »
    if NTS is valid in England too then its probably the best deal if you have Tesco points I should think - presumably not Wales just Scotland and England?

In the end, I went for single membership as mostly in NI we wanted car parking which would have added up to about £15. It has worked out very well as we also went to just one house/garden (Mountstewart) and until end of first week July you can take a non member for free so didnt pay for husband.

Am sure will use more than the value of my single membership and perhaps next year we will do single in husbands name.

There are special offers and am sure they are sometimes better than others. I got free binoculars, I havent looked at them yet but, if nothing else, they will be enjoyed by the grandchildren.

If you are going to pay to join rather than using Tesco points leave it till the last minute to max out your year - you get a temporary membership number by email within seconds of applying. And don't forget Quidco.

This thread has been brilliant, thank you, when I posted I thought I would be lucky if I got one reply! I should have known better from MSE'ers!

Isn't the Tesco club card deal for an individual property not membership?
  • paul2louise
    paul2louise Posts: 2,416
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Isn't the Tesco club card deal for an individual property not membership?

Yes I think it is, so not worth using the club card points.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure