Election impact on investments

Comments

• I hope they allow England to vote in the Scottish independence, I will happily wave them away, they cannot afford independence. Sod the Union we will be better off they are just a money pit.
  • DairyQueen
    DairyQueen Posts: 1,822
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I believe that the most significant part of the result is the surge by the SNP to 43 MPs.
    This is old news. Anyone living in the UK is aware that the SNP has dominated the Scottish vote since 2015. In Scotland, Labour had already demonstrated how it could be the architect of its own misfortune.

It has now repeated that error across Wales and the English North and Midlands.

The significant - indeed, incredible - news of this election has been the massive swing away from Labour in its traditional heartlands.Labour betrayed its historic supporters and it has paid the price. These are the people who have won this election for the Tories and I hope that this government repays them in spades by diverting barrel-loads of much-needed regional investment to those areas.

Today I am humbled by those for whom 'democracy' means rather more than an over-used campaign statement. I can't begin to imagine what it takes to switch party after two/three generations of lifetime allegiance.

Awesome. :beer:
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,137
    Forumite
    The significant - indeed, incredible - news of this election has been the massive swing away from Labour in its traditional heartlands.Labour betrayed its historic supporters and it has paid the price. These are the people who have won this election for the Tories and I hope that this government repays them in spades by diverting barrel-loads of much-needed regional investment to those areas.
    Since London is still mainly Labour, while the rest of the country is mainly Conservative - maybe it will be an encouragment to look away from the overly London-centric policies that have held sway for too long IMO.
  • I hope they allow England to vote in the Scottish independence, I will happily wave them away, they cannot afford independence. Sod the Union we will be better off they are just a money pit.

You might as well argue that everyone in the EU got to vote in the Brexit referendum.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • DairyQueen wrote: »
    This is old news. Anyone living in the UK is aware that the SNP has dominated the Scottish vote since 2015. :
    ]

The popularity of the SNP is well known outside the UK too. The latest surge to the SNO is news and important in the context of a potential independence referendum and the political capital it gives the SNP.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • DairyQueen wrote: »
    Today I am humbled by those for whom 'democracy' means rather more than an over-used campaign statement. I can't begin to imagine what it takes to switch party after two/three generations of lifetime allegiance.

Awesome. :beer:

My wive’s family is from the North East. Great people. Labour was their religion. Last night as the names of the places that elected Tory MPs started to come in, my jaw dropped.

Reading some of the Corbynista reactions this morning, it reminded me of the Leninist principle: working class can’t be trusted to decide what’s best for the working class. Also: 1. None of it is the fault of the party leader. 2. Entirely the fault of 0.04% of the population 3. “ Hope your baby is still born” (nicer, gentler politics).
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,787
    Forumite
    DairyQueen wrote: »
    The significant - indeed, incredible - news of this election has been the massive swing away from Labour in its traditional heartlands.
    This was Labour Leave voters who preferred to vote Tory rather than have another referendum.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,272
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    What I don't quite understand, is how come the SNP want independence from the UK, but still want to be part of Europe and "ruled" by Brussels?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.47% of current retirement "pot" (as at end February 2024)
  • nigelbb
    nigelbb Posts: 3,787
    Forumite
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    What I don't quite understand, is how come the SNP want independence from the UK, but still want to be part of Europe and "ruled" by Brussels?
    Maybe because countries are in fact not "ruled" by Brussels? The EU is a cooperative enterprise with all members involved in making the rules for the greater good.
  • My wive’s family is from the North East. Great people.

You sound like Donald Trump
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport