The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    d63 wrote: »
    i have not checked recently to see if the following all still allow debit card transactions (ICICI used to for example but no longer i gather) anyway try:

britannia (apply online but operate by post/telephone)
    chelsea
    cynergy
    post office
    skipton
    ybs

Cynergy doesn't. Not for their instand access savings account, anyway.
  • d63
    d63 Posts: 328 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    colsten wrote: »
    Cynergy doesn't. Not for their instant access savings account, anyway.

ah, thats a pity, but since it seems that their instant access a/c is currently only available to existing customers, no great loss perhaps.

on the plus side however, it seems that the cambridge building society lets you add funds via debit card, and (not sure if this counts!) there is also that hargreaves-lansdown active savings a/c which was discussed here fairly recently.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    soulsaver wrote: »
    PO & YBS still for sure.. but PO has a frustratingly nasty & common habit of falling over after you've typed all the details in and before it processes the payment. Avoid if possible.

That sounds like NS&I rather than the Post Office?

I thought Post Office didn't allow deposits by debit card?
  • colsten
    PO & YBS still for sure.. but PO has a frustratingly nasty & common habit of falling over after you've typed all the details in and before it processes the payment. Avoid if possible.
    Can you store your card details in the browser (e.g. Google account) so all you have to do is select the card and type the 3-digit security code?
  • d63
    d63 Posts: 328 Forumite
    just to add to the list i noticed that the family building society also allows additions to be made by debit card (although it seems that their tracker saver will be going down from 1.29% to 1.18% in the new year)
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,950 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2019 at 6:50PM
    colsten wrote: »
    Can you store your card details in the browser (e.g. Google account) so all you have to do is select the card and type the 3-digit security code?

Good point but I wasn't offered the option by bing.

TBH I'm not that keen on the effort for a 5p rebate, because I use my Co-Op DC for the small weekly shopping items I can't/don't/ forget to get with the main shop - so prob get 20+ debits PM without resorting to such practice.

But I know PO deposit options still shows DC; so more from curiosity thought I'd pump a few through to see if it works for the Co-Op kick back... after 2nd it fell over; I logged in and tried again, and again 'tecnical difficulties' at the submission stage. And logged in to repeat another time... and same. I cba to try again.
  • colsten
    I cba to try again.
    I know what you mean. Although I have not tried it at the PO, I once was bored and did 30 x £1 deposits at HL. It took around 20 minutes, and half way through, the COOP/VISA started asking for 3 digits from security information, for every transaction. Getting £1.50 for doing this pays less than minimum wage! I cba either to do it again.
  • Are there any "best buy" lists that also show if accounts can be managed by mobile app? My Lloyds savings account was never great but was easy to move temporary peaks in money from current to savings and back. The rate is about to drop to 0.1% so am motivated to use another savings account but the best ones require web logins... would be very useful to find a provider that has mobile application support, even if the rate isn't a table-topper.
  • colsten
    pingster wrote: »
    Are there any "best buy" lists that also show if accounts can be managed by mobile app? My Lloyds savings account was never great but was easy to move temporary peaks in money from current to savings and back. The rate is about to drop to 0.1% so am motivated to use another savings account but the best ones require web logins... would be very useful to find a provider that has mobile application support, even if the rate isn't a table-topper.
    All banks, and many Building Societies, have apps, and all offer Faster Payments so money transfer shouldn't be a huge issue. With very few exceptions, the rates in their instant access accounts are terrible. Exceptions are perhaps Nationwide FlexDirect and TSB Plus but they are time-limited / likely to be withdrawn soon. Other options are the Santander 123, Starling and Virgin Money. None of the best buys have apps but the difference is probably pennies. You could have a look at Skipton, they have recently launched an app, or at Al Rayan. I know Al Rayan don't process Faster Payments at weekends, though. Not sure about Skipton.

Depending on the amount of money you want to put in/take out, your other option might be Regular Savers which allow withdrawals without penalties. For instance, the Lloyds Monthly Saver and the Club Lloyds Monthly Saver could be of interest.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    pingster wrote: »
    Are there any "best buy" lists that also show if accounts can be managed by mobile app? My Lloyds savings account was never great but was easy to move temporary peaks in money from current to savings and back. The rate is about to drop to 0.1% so am motivated to use another savings account but the best ones require web logins... would be very useful to find a provider that has mobile application support, even if the rate isn't a table-topper.

Cambridge BS has an app and currently pays 1.1%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure