Electric cars question

Comments

• NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,715 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    No matter what anyone says - there is always going to be a fear of running out of juice on a long journey with nowhere to refill - unlike petrol !
    YOU may have the fear of running out of juice. I do not and I own a BEV.

The first one I had was a 30kWh Nissan Leaf. The only time I had to plan then was on long journies. 280 miles, 2 charges on the way there and 3 on the way back because of pump locations. That was nearly 4 years ago. That same trip now is one charge of 20 - 30 minutes at the half way point when I want a comfort break anyway.

Nowadays there are a lot more pumps about. The latest ones will push out 150kW which would take my current car from 20-80% in 20 minutes. The pumps coming soon will whack out 350kW and the largest car batteries are 100kWh.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NigeWick wrote: »
    YOU may have the fear of running out of juice. I do not and I own a BEV.

The first one I had was a 30kWh Nissan Leaf. The only time I had to plan then was on long journies. 280 miles, 2 charges on the way there and 3 on the way back because of pump locations. That was nearly 4 years ago. That same trip now is one charge of 20 - 30 minutes at the half way point when I want a comfort break anyway.

Nowadays there are a lot more pumps about. The latest ones will push out 150kW which would take my current car from 20-80% in 20 minutes. The pumps coming soon will whack out 350kW and the largest car batteries are 100kWh.

I regularly drive approx 200 miles up the motorway and can make it both ways without a refuel of my IC car - however, for safetys sake - I generally refill at the other end before my return journey...
    I have on occasion not done this and have been forced to fill up on the M-way (at hiked prices but that is to be expected) - I see that there are a mere 6 or possibly 8 refill points at most service stations - which, even now - there are queues for - meaning that not only do you have to wait 30 minutes to recharge the EV but maybe another 30 or 60 before you reach the point itself - and that will only get worse as more people buy EV's.
    They will have to increase the number of recharge points by 10 fold at least to tempt me to buy an EV and also double the range !
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No matter what anyone says - there is always going to be a fear of running out of juice on a long journey with nowhere to refill - unlike petrol !
    And how long does a 75% refill take ?

Have you never run out of petrol? You're carrying round a different form of fuel, sure.
    75% of what? It depends on the size of the battery, how fast the car can charge, and how fast the charger can charge.
    Example - my Kia Soul EV. If I arrive at a 50kW rapid charger, with 10%, I've got 3kWh left in my 30kWh 'tank/battery'. I plug in, and to get to 75% I need to take 65%, that's 19.5kWh. At a speed of 50kW, that would take under 25 minutes. 19.5kWh would take me 58 miles in winter assming 3m/kWh. If your battery is twice as big, 75% will take twice as long, and take you twice as far! When we get 100kW chargers, the time will halve.
    That's the simple theoretical stuff, some practicalities like temperature can get in the way, but it should be enough to go on.
    Just what we need on the icy roads on a winter morning: loads of EV drivers accelerating harshly.

Indeed! Actually if you can just spin the wheels without getting airflow, you should be able to heat the battery faster!
  • NigeWick
    I regularly drive approx 200 miles up the motorway
    From which town to which town?

It does sound as though a BEV is not for you and I can live with that. BEVs will suit most people, especially in a couple of years when they are the same cost to buy as ICE vehicles.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NigeWick wrote: »
    From which town to which town?

It does sound as though a BEV is not for you and I can live with that. BEVs will suit most people, especially in a couple of years when they are the same cost to buy as ICE vehicles.

From A to B
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    They will have to increase the number of recharge points by 10 fold at least to tempt me to buy an EV and also double the range !

I believe your original question about heater use in EVs in winter has been well answered....Impact on the whole is minimal.

Clearly your not mentally ready to consider EVs, which is not unusual.

Plenty of people have moved to EVs already though, and after doing 55K+ now of EVs miles, through 4 winters, having traveled all over the UK and to France in EVs I can tell you for most families EVs have no issues.

The other question people often ask about EVs, is if the air-con drains battery power in summer. We went to WestMidlands Safari park this summer, loads of traffic, over 30degrees, in total spent nearly 6hrs in the car that day, the air-con was on for the whole time whilst around us most combustion car owners had turned their engines off in the queuing traffic with windows open boiling in the heat :rotfl:

There is lots of situation when EVs are still not good/limited, but in answer to your original question, HAVC use in a car either winter or summer has very little impact on EV range.

48153071391_96091e61af_b.jpg
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Safari Park! did you let the monkeys have a ride on the Tesla? The deer kicked my Skoda still have the scratches
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    MX5huggy wrote: »
    Safari Park! did you let the monkeys have a ride on the Tesla? The deer kicked my Skoda still have the scratches

I did think about taking my wifes car, but what's the point of having a nice car if you're never going to use it??

Our EV is a 'keeper', so any dents/scratches really don't bother me, its our main family car for the foreseeable future, and does the role of been the family 'hack' beautifully.

Will have done about 45k in 3 years come next March, by the time some people decide to even try EVs I recon I wouldn't be far off 100k EV miles, not bad considering my commute is only 10 miles, so even though our EV was very expensive to buy we are making really good use of it :).
  • NigeWick
    From A to B
    Sorry, I can't find them on the map. Are you sure they're in the UK?
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • MX5huggy
    MX5huggy Posts: 6,853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I just imagine the monkeys �� stripping out the windscreen rubbers.

I love our i3 I’m sold, next family car will be BEV e-Nero is in pole position ATM but the Skoda is worth next to nothing and keeps going. Let’s do the maths on fuel only 12000 miles per year. BEV 4p per mile £480. Skoda at 40mpg petrol £1.30 = £1700, difference is not big enough to cover the cost of the car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure