Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Comments

• waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Is there another forum that I should raise this question on?

Two things spring to mind. Firstly this is probably better off having its own thread. Secondly people may not want to give you the bad news.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    My partner's daughter booked a hotel room one evening (for that night) but immediately noticed that she had booked the wrong Bell Hotel

As this was clearly a mistake and was booked on-line (

Here's an answer that nobody wanted to say. You need to rephrase your 3rd person attribution... "As this was her mistake". How on earth can it be clearly a mistake to the person running the wrong Bell Hotel?

You're down to their cancellation T&Cs and their goodwill. If it were me who made the mistake and they didn't want to refund, I'd ask humbly for a "free" night at that Bell Hotel or another one in their group if they are part of a chain.
  • targaid
    targaid Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My parents had their boiler upgraded recently and they have been having trouble with the remote thermostat/controller. Basically, the receiver attached to the boiler isn't getting a signal any more so timers aren't working and it's not managing the temperature. They've had several visits (the system was leaky when first installed) but since last I spoke to the company they've failed to keep a promised repair appointment and are no longer answering calls.
    Can I send my own, reliable, heating engineer to fix it and send them the bill?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    targaid wrote: »
    Can I send my own, reliable, heating engineer to fix it and send them the bill?

Yes but they are under no obligation to pay it.

Your boiler should have a guarantee, have you spoken to the manufacturer or have you just been dealing with the installer
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • targaid
    targaid Posts: 49 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So far just been trying the installers as they're the ones we have a contract with. However, having made their wad with the government grant they seem to have shut up shop. When I checked the internet about them there were dozens of complaints about poor installations and leaving customers in the lurch.

I'll give the manufacturers a go as my engineer is too busy to visit for the next couple of weeks. At least they can get some heat.
  • Hope someone can help us make a decision here. We have had a claim rejected by NHBC. We intend to dispute their findings and progress (first via ombudsman then further if required) but they have offered us an ex gratia goodwill payment of £5000. Clearly this money will come in handy but we are worried this might prohibit our ability to take further action later down the line if the payment is seen by law as a settlement in some way. Now I’m aware the ex gratia is a ‘favour’ payment without obligation, but do we take it or do we decline to protect us later down the line?
  • If you accept the offer, that would normally put an end to the matter.

If you think you are legally owed more, then you'll need to decline it. Bear in mind that if you are unsuccessful, they are very unlikely to leave it on the table.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    The £5k will most likely have conditions attached.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    LauraBurke wrote: »
    Hope someone can help us make a decision here. We have had a claim rejected by NHBC. We intend to dispute their findings and progress (first via ombudsman then further if required) but they have offered us an ex gratia goodwill payment of £5000.

Slimeballs!

"We think we're wrong but also think you won't take this to court".

Decline and sue them.
  • Hi,
    I bought my daughter a ring for xmas (over £100 but not paid for by credit card, I used my debit. Card), when I was buying it I explained that I didn't know my daughters ring size so checked with the sales assistant that I could exchange it for the correct size, the sales assistant confirmed this would not be a problem.

My daughter doesn't like the style and the ring is too big. I tried to take the ring back for a refund today and was told I could not be issued with a refund and that I could not have gift vouchers, my only option was a credit note, only valid at the store I purchased the ring from, and only valid for 6 months from today, which I 'opted' for

I purchased the ring on 23/12 and at no time during the sale was I made aware by the sales assistant of there being a blanket no refund policy, or the terms of the credit note.

This seems to be in breach of consumer rights, could anyone advise how I might proceed to getting the refund I feel should have been a simple return?

Many thanks guys.
    W.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport