PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    I showed my brother the exit poll while we were at the concert last night and he wasn't pleased as he is a Corbyn supporter!:eek::rotfl:

Oh well, I didn't vote Tory but I hope Boris Johnson makes a good PM for us.:)

OMG, I was so hungover this morning! I just made oven chips and baked beans for myself and drank loads of water.:D
    Brambling wrote: »

Family call tonight to say one of my sisters is in hospital, just a vague she's in A & E and they are keeping her in overnight for observation, third hand by the time I got it due to the family 'telephone tree' the hospital was vague it seems when they called my eldest sister but I think that was more because of the permission given on how much they would tell her. The hospital said it was too late for visitors which is just as well as my BIL won't take my eldest sister to hospital tonight as she's not well, her blood pressure is 'through the roof' at the moment. Local family will go and see her tomorrow and let me know what's happening. Family dramas, there's always something and she's one of my sisters nearer in age to me :cool:

I hope she is okay.xx
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

I hope your sister is ok Brambling <hug> always worrying when folk get kept in overnight.
    Hope the hangover was worth it Wednesday;)

I headed to bed last night before the results started coming in but going on the exit polls wasn't surprised with the outcome. Uncertain times ahead for the UK......
    Until an hour or so ago the weather was much better here today, cold but dry and calm. It's pouring now with wind and sleet forecast as coming in overnight so no doubt of the nearby hills will get snow. I made the most of it being dry and braved the chill by having the windows and back door open for a few hours to the give the house a good airing. My dehumidifier switched itself off not long after I did which shows the benefit a bit of air flow gives even if was decidedly chilly indoors. My fridge has been completed gutted, scrubbed out and various tubs/jars/bottles inspected before they were returned. There [STRIKE]were far too many [/STRIKE]:o a few mustard jars with just residue in them kept to make salad dressing in but as I'm not making a huge amount of salads at the moment they've been washed and recycled. In case anyone thinks I'm completely slovenly, I do wipe my fridge out before a grocery delivery but seldom haul everything out for a deep clean, I find it a horrible bendy/balancing job which has basically taken me all day to manage so definitely not something I'd contemplate too often! I didn't find anything squidgy, furry or slimy so that was a plus, it's looking very shiny and empty tonight.:D I was just at the point of maximum chaos when my sis appeared at the door clutching a very welcome Greggs' steak bake for each of us. It was piping hot and my it was tasty, I hadn't anything organised for lunch so it was great timing on her part:).

Easy oven bung it in tonight of chicken wings, baked spud, mushrooms, toms and roasted sprouts. Not the best day in the F&V or healthy eating department though I did have a pear & a biggish portion of grapes late afternoon as well.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    There [STRIKE]were far too many [/STRIKE]:o a few mustard jars with just residue in them kept to make salad dressing in but as I'm not making a huge amount of salads at the moment they've been washed and recycled. In case anyone thinks I'm completely slovenly, I do wipe my fridge out before a grocery delivery but seldom haul everything out for a deep clean
    I used to keep ketchup and brown sauce bottles thinking "next time I put something in the SC I can swill that out"; I'd invariably forget and promise myself I'd remember next time.

In the main I reduce my jars/bottles to the bare minimum as I can't bear having 20 opened jars that sounded interesting. I limit myself to one jar of jam open at a time, I can only open the next one when the first is finished. Ditto chutneys etc. If I open a jar of chutney it'd last 2-3 years (forget I've got it most of the time), so even though I might like the sound of 20 other chutneys - and even though I don't particularly like the current/open one, I can't buy/open another until the first has gone.

The fridge still seemed cluttered with: 1 ketchup, 1 brown sauce, 1 jam, 1 marmalade, 1 lemon curd, 1 other jar of something or other.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 December 2019 at 9:01PM
    Options
    Today I wandered into L1dl for some sweeties. I went in for one bag of my current favourites. Grabbed two bags "might as well, since I'm in here" and then grabbed a box of matchmakers too :)

I decided to buy some frozen chips, I'm in my last 8 days of food here and chips are super simple to reheat/scoff, so I thought it was a good plan.

I didn't intend buying anything else, but my eyes fell upon spicy bean burgers and, for some unknown reason, I got those. I then had to buy flatbreads to serve/eat them with.

Since I came home 7 hours ago I've scoffed matchmakers, sweeties ... and THREE of those bean burgers/flatbreads :)

Freezer food I have to eat in the next week is just: curry/rice, chips, 1 burger, 1 bean burger, some hash browns. That's achievable. The fridge has about 2 tablespoons of marg and half a small pack of cheese. That marg is a problem... I don't want to run out as I can't buy/waste another. That 250g tub has lasted me 11 weeks, so I can't buy one for just a week's eating.
  • caronc
    Options
    I used to keep ketchup and brown sauce bottles thinking "next time I put something in the SC I can swill that out"; I'd invariably forget and promise myself I'd remember next time.

In the main I reduce my jars/bottles to the bare minimum as I can't bear having 20 opened jars that sounded interesting. I limit myself to one jar of jam open at a time, I can only open the next one when the first is finished. Ditto chutneys etc. If I open a jar of chutney it'd last 2-3 years (forget I've got it most of the time), so even though I might like the sound of 20 other chutneys - and even though I don't particularly like the current/open one, I can't buy/open another until the first has gone.

The fridge still seemed cluttered with: 1 ketchup, 1 brown sauce, 1 jam, 1 marmalade, 1 lemon curd, 1 other jar of something or other.
    Even culled I have a few more than that but they are down to a level I'm more comfortable with, I couldn't be nearly disciplined enough to only have say one mustard on the go - I use them for different things, though will use a jar of jam or marmalade before I open another. :) Sounds as though your food stocks are coming down nicely :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've English, whole grain and Dijon mustards currently on the go, but as you say different mustard for different things, only a English mustard 'empty' jar to be swilled out at the moment and a ketchup :). I only ever have one jam on the go ( currently none) a marmalade and a lemon curd. As I like to cook there are probably a greater variety of savoury jars opened then I should have :D

My sister is still in hospital, they thought it was pneumonia but it's bronchitis, she will be there for the weekend. Unsurprisingly for her there's a whole drama around it but she's ok which is the main thing. Unfortunately my eldest sisters' blood pressure is really bad, the higher number is over 200 :eek::eek: , they are gradually upping her existing meds with daily doctor checks, she's nearly 80 and doesn't know the meaning of taking it easy :cool: she's says she's still feeding 12 Christmas Day :eek: she will have to hand the reins over to her daughter and granddaughters

I was led astray at the Sainsbobs lunchtime I went in for the weekend fruit, veg and milk and picked up YS less than half price chicken breasts and thighs. Will need to play freezer Tetris in a bit but it was worth it four large breasts and eight thighs for less than £3.

Lunch today was more of the HM vegetable soup and dinner was simple blue cheese and leek omelette with some wilted spinach.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I've English, whole grain and Dijon mustards currently on the go, but as you say different mustard for different things, only a English mustard 'empty' jar to be swilled out at the moment and a ketchup :). I only ever have one jam on the go ( currently none) a marmalade and a lemon curd. As I like to cook there are probably a greater variety of savoury jars opened then I should have :D

My sister is still in hospital, they thought it was pneumonia but it's bronchitis, she will be there for the weekend. Unsurprisingly for her there's a whole drama around it but she's ok which is the main thing. Unfortunately my eldest sisters' blood pressure is really bad, the higher number is over 200 :eek::eek: , they are gradually upping her existing meds with daily doctor checks, she's nearly 80 and doesn't know the meaning of taking it easy :cool: she's says she's still feeding 12 Christmas Day :eek: she will have to hand the reins over to her daughter and granddaughters

I was led astray at the Sainsbobs lunchtime I went in for the weekend fruit, veg and milk and picked up YS less than half price chicken breasts and thighs. Will need to play freezer Tetris in a bit but it was worth it four large breasts and eight thighs for less than £3.

Lunch today was more of the HM vegetable soup and dinner was simple blue cheese and leek omelette with some wilted spinach.
    Glad one sis is settling down but my that's a scary figure for the other but at nearly 80 she probably is very much of the "keep on carrying on generation" so no telling her!
    I think if you are a keen cook it's very hard to keep the "bits" down, it's scary how much space in their very small kitchens that both my sons allocate to ingredients of one form or the other - no doubting I'm their Mum;):cool:. That sounds like a great YS definitely worth the freezer tetris. :)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My sister tells me I indoctrinated my nephews at a early age when babysitting as both boys sound like yours with well stocked kitchens and liking to cook :)

I'm too frightened of my eldest sister to suggest at her age she should be taking it easy she may be only 4ft 9 but she packs a punch :D she has children my age so I'm her baby sister and treated more like a child than sibling :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Restless night, and woke this morning with what I hope is not Christmas lurgy, cough & itchy eyes. It's been brewing for over a week. Luckily I've plenty of stuff "in" so no problems with groceries

My fridge is disgraceful :o

I'm a bu66er for opening new jars of jam for just one scrape, then it's left and I open another type. I've two types of marmalade open at the moment, plus curd & HM apple & B jam.

Numerous types of mustard, plus horseradish, tartare, mayo, salad cream & Caesar salad dressing. Brown & red sauce are also in there

Porridge breakfast

Lunch, not sure, it's my son's birthday and there is a chance I may meet him & family for lunch, but it was a late idea and they may have made arrangements, they do "like to lunch"

Personally going to a shopping area on a Saturday before Christmas is something I would normally avoid but mustn't be an old curmudgeon;)

Dinner, no idea, CBA to prep & cook much but I've plenty to nuke or warm up
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It's back to wild & wet here and it's baltic. I've no need to go anywhere so shan't be straying apart from the usual bin run. Like you Farway I'm a bit snuffly this morning and hope it's isn't a cold, I'm out for lunch with friends on Monday and would prefer not to be full of the sniffles. Apart from making a curry for tomorrow later I've not much planned for today. I have groceries arriving this morning and once they're put away and I've done some laundry I think it will be feet up for a bit. I might tackle some wrapping later if I cba. LOs from last night for lunch and breaded haddock for dinner.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback