Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,870Posts
    • 23,375Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life
    • 27th Dec 18, 6:48 PM
    2019 - A Clutter Free Life 27th Dec 18 at 6:48 PM
    To use Guineapigsqueaks/Sa1sysoo words “A new thread for declutterbugs in 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019!"

I made a fairly good start in 2018 but 2019 is THE YEAR that I finally get to grips with a full declutter - I would like to have NO rooms/cupboards/drawers of Doom & I would like to have a revamped bathroom & fully decorated house My DH is going to be very busy

Plenty of options available on numbering the clutter out

2019 in 2019 or 52 in 52 weeks even 365 in 365 days & if you are feeling really adventurous a la basketcase - you can weigh the clutter out

Whichever you choose or you may choose not to number, we would love to hear both your success stories & your ways/methods of decluttering - they may not have worked for you but they may work for someone else

I am hoping that everyone who posted on the 2018 thread will also post on the 2019 thread

Welcome one and all and happy decluttering!

MrsSD

P.S. Hope this works as it is my very first attempt at starting a Thread

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 05-07-2019 at 9:05 AM.
Page 186
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 9th Dec 19, 9:19 PM
    • 13,445 Posts
    • 227,489 Thanks
    greenbee
    I've just packed up a whole lot of airline amenity packs with hotel toiletries into a conference backpack for the homeless shelter, and I need to drop it off at some point.

I've contacted a number of charities about some white goods and furniture that I'd like to donate, but I appear to be out of the collection area for ALL of them. I've put the details up on FB and the small items have been claimed, but the two freezers and the dresser will probably end up going to the tip (along with the old cooker once the new one is in and working!).

If anyone wants an under-counter freezer or a 100cm dresser, feel free to drop round...
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 9th Dec 19, 9:45 PM
    • 3,313 Posts
    • 11,873 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    Mrs Salad Dodger I definitely need to declutter the Pyrex and saucepans. I have time set a side, when I am off over Christmas, to pull all my cupboards out, in the kitchen, clean them out and then reduce the clutter (again). Last did this in the kitchen in summer and last January.
    Even though I have been decluttering all year the house seems extremely full because my mother has moved house and my aunt has been decluttering too.
    £2 Savers Club 2019 no. 1. £560
    £2 Savers Club 2020 no. 1 Target £600
    Save £12k in 2019 no.82 £7500
    2019 - A clutter free life
    • TC77
    • By TC77 9th Dec 19, 11:22 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 557 Thanks
    TC77
    703 ball out
    704 unused prescription binned
    705 cleaned cills and windows ready to hang curtains
    706- 708 batteries disposed
    709 - 725 stencils to CS bag
    726 - 728 paper work - starting to tackle massive filing/paper clutter properly

Thanks Mrs SD for the gold star - really motivating me to have another push this month
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 10th Dec 19, 12:10 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 23,375 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE.

Monday has been yet another dry day. DSis & I had our 4th sessions at the Chinese Medical Centre. Walked up to the CS & found a couple of people in there Unfortunately I learnt that the lease is up for “1 Community” - they have until 31st December to clear out their current inventory The news is even worse though - they do not have anywhere else to go yet & the news gets worse - the main director who was extremely community minded has been replaced with a money grubbing director. So I am very sad & very mad 😡 that a truly community minded charity (& the only one on the Isle of Dogs) has bitten the dust. Apparently the whole arcade is being demolished & tower blocks built - you know the type “affordable luxury - starting prices from £850,000” I can see the Isle of Dogs sinking DSis & I walked home - so my F*tb*t is happy
    Dinner was pork loin steaks, boiled potatoes & green beans - no los

4602 - 4609 Three drinks tins, cardboard packaging, magazine, 2 newspapers, plastic bottle - Recycled
    4610 Bag of kitchen detritus - Binned

Nice to see you notmy1sttime How often do you want me/us to chase you Remember you do need to clear lots of space for all your new Christmas presents

Wednesday2000, talk about an unexpected bonus of decluttering Have you earmarked it for something special

Oh Guineapigsqueaks - you did make me I think that I will try to look at all my shopping the exact same way Well Done on the decluttering We put up absolutely NO Christmas decorations - our one concession is putting up a couple of bits of string to hang Christmas cards

Well Done villagelife I am intrigued by the plaster of Paris feet moulds

A final push before Christmas choille - good on you

Well Done greenbee Really disappointing that no CS wants your white goods. Almost certainly there are people who would really appreciate the items but sadly it appears that CS shops can’t be bothered Have you seen the thread about Charity Shops setting silly prices?

See you all tomorrow - hopefully a few others will pop in & let us know how their decluttering is progressing.

MrsSD
    4610/4038
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 10th Dec 19, 6:38 AM
    • 772 Posts
    • 10,550 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Greenbee, have you thought about Freecycle - what a shame none of the charities will collect your stuff, I'm sure someone would love to have them.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 10th Dec 19, 7:12 AM
    • 13,445 Posts
    • 227,489 Thanks
    greenbee
    Greenbee, have you thought about Freecycle - what a shame none of the charities will collect your stuff, I'm sure someone would love to have them.
    Originally posted by ScarletRibbons
    Unfortunately freecycle isn’t ve y active round here - people want new stuff. I’m in a rural area with a local population of about 300. I’m sure people in local towns may want these things but we know from experience that they won’t travel 15 miles for them and these items need a large car, trailer or van.

The charities do want the stuff - but have fixed collection areas, none of which cover us as far as I can tell.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Dec 19, 10:34 AM
    • 3,700 Posts
    • 26,299 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I just looked in my seagrass makeup box and it is looking very nice and streamlined now I have got rid of the stuff I don't use.

I binned a tarnished "silver" necklace and donated another necklace.

I repurposed a box from the garden storage (i think it was supposed to be for nails and screws as it has lots of useful compartments) cleaned it and I put my jewellery in there. I used another box to put in my loose change. Now the boxes have a purpose instead of just sitting out in the garden not being used for anything.

I am running down my kitchen products now as I have too many of them. I am a sucker for BOGOF.

A scented candle will be used up today and all rubbish and recycling has gone out. My kitchen is looking very tidy at the moment.

Monday has been yet another dry day. DSis & I had our 4th sessions at the Chinese Medical Centre. Walked up to the CS & found a couple of people in there Unfortunately I learnt that the lease is up for “1 Community” - they have until 31st December to clear out their current inventory The news is even worse though - they do not have anywhere else to go yet & the news gets worse - the main director who was extremely community minded has been replaced with a money grubbing director. So I am very sad & very mad 😡 that a truly community minded charity (& the only one on the Isle of Dogs) has bitten the dust. Apparently the whole arcade is being demolished & tower blocks built - you know the type “affordable luxury - starting prices from £850,000” I can see the Isle of Dogs sinking DSis & I walked home - so my F*tb*t is happy
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    That is a shame about the charity.

Did your DSis like the Chinese treatment more this time?

I've already spent the £50.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 11th Dec 19, 6:44 AM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 21,820 Thanks
    villagelife
    MrsSD the plaster of Paris feet moulds were something DH did a long time again while training. He has never had to use it for work.

1541-1542 old PlayStation games.
    1543-1561 CD's all taken to charity shop.
    1562 more packaging recycled
    1563 more paperwork shredded from DS1 this time.
    1564 a strip of felt not sure why I still have it
    1565-1567 magazines to DH work
    1568 broken coat hanger
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 11th Dec 19, 7:43 PM
    • 5,363 Posts
    • 52,250 Thanks
    Barny1979
    1529-1531. Cardboard recycled
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    1532-1537. Video games sold on Facebook
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 263 AFDs up to end of November
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 11th Dec 19, 8:47 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 25,532 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Even though I have been decluttering all year the house seems extremely full because my mother has moved house and my aunt has been decluttering too.
    Originally posted by Gem-gem
    Gem-gem, is this extra stuff really stuff you want to keep and is their decluttering still going on? If they still send stuff your way, can you agree with them that you will find a good place for it if you can't use it yourself, and then (this is the important bit) make the decision immediately on leaving their house and drop the stuff at the cs? Don't let it get a foot in the door, or it will insist in moving in!
    2019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.226,10 = £ 1,876.76
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31 = £ 2,969.05
    • short_bird
    • By short_bird 11th Dec 19, 9:42 PM
    • 1,967 Posts
    • 27,902 Thanks
    short_bird
    620: postal vote sent 5 days ago

Early night for me, up at stupid o'clock and finishing late: I'm working 11 days in a row and tomorrow is Day 4/11. Most days are 3 or 4 hour shifts so it's not as bad as it sounds.
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
    • Rootle
    • By Rootle 12th Dec 19, 4:02 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,105 Thanks
    Rootle
    48/52 - Packaging recycling galore!
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 12th Dec 19, 7:25 PM
    • 5,363 Posts
    • 52,250 Thanks
    Barny1979
    1532-1537. Video games sold on Facebook
    Originally posted by Barny1979
    1538-1541. Four bags of recycling, eg wrappers etc dropped off at house whose resident gets money for charity from Terracyle.
    1542-1544. Cardboard recycled
    2013 - 313 AFDs, 2014 - 289 AFDs, 2015 - 321 AFDs, 2016 - 276 AFDs, 2017 - 276 AFDs, 2018 - 240 AFDs 2019 - 263 AFDs up to end of November
    MFW Challenge 2019 - £1809/£1809
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Dec 19, 2:07 AM
    • 1,870 Posts
    • 23,375 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    1. SMALL TASKS WILL BE DONE ASAP
    2. I WILL LEAVE A ROOM TIDIER THAN WHEN I ENTERED
    3. KITCHEN WILL BE LEFT CLEAN & TIDY EVERY NIGHT
    4. WHEN DEALING WITH CLUTTER I WILL USE ‘Daisy1571’s idea of ‘WHAT WOULD I DO WITH THIS ITEM IF IT WAS SOMEONE ELSE’S ?’
    5. IF I WAS STARTING FROM SCRATCH, WOULD I BUY THIS?
    6. BE LIKE A POSTAGE STAMP - STICK TO ONE THING UNTIL YOU GET THERE.

I have been very remiss in posting unfortunately NOT because I have been decluttering

Tuesday was a mainly dry day & I met a former colleague for lunch time drinks. Haven’t seen him for a while so 1.5 hours flew by while we caught up on all our news. Pencilled in a March meeting. DH put together the 4 dining chairs that were delivered a few weeks ago (we will be able to sit down at the table for Christmas dinner Lunch was hm soup & crusty bread & dinner was cottage pie mix (from the freezer) topped with cheesy mash with green beans & mixed vegetables also from the freezer with enough left for Wednesday’s dinner with carrots from freezer. 4 more items from freezer I am working very hard to empty the freezer for defrosting
    Wednesday DH & I went to Kent to visit his sister & BiL & niece - ostensibly to book a 2 city trip to Russia. Coffee, mince pies & cake were consumed We managed to avoid the rain riding down but got wet coming home We have agreed on dates & what we would like to see but will not be booking it until 27th December. I gave a small jar of hm tomato chutney to DH’s niece & a rather wonderful gift from her was an extra large throw to cover my 2nd sofa. I was absolutely delighted as I had been unable to source one Dinner was the rest of the cottage pie with extra lo mash.

Thursday it has done nothing but rain 🌧 DH & I risked getting wet & dropped off the last lot of donations at the CS having been promised that the shop would be open I had to leave the bags outside - fortunately there is a covered walkway - as no-one was there. DSis went out in the rain & cast her vote (postal votes for DH & I ) DSis cooked dinner - M+S lasagne & garlic bread.
    Have completed scarf no.12 & started scarf no.13 & DDis has repaired her umbrella

4611 - 4646 Nine drinks tins, 10 lots of cardboard packaging, magazine, 2 newspapers, 8 lots of paper packaging, 4 medium sized cardboard boxes, large cardboard box, 1” of paperwork, - Recycled
    4647 - 4658 Three bags of kitchen detritus, 2 large carpet tiles, 6 lots of plastic packaging, plastic tray - Binned

Gem-gem, I need to take a leaf out of your book & empty, clean & declutter my kitchen cupboards - again My problem is that I have to find a new CS

Well Done TC77 I promise you another gold star if you hit 800

Greenbee such a shame. Seems we are quite often thwarted in our attempts to save the planet & help our fellow human beings

Excellent work Wednesday2000 A tidy kitchen brings so much joy DSis is definitely enjoying her treatments more now

Well Done villagelife shame that your DH’s acquired skill set has never been used

More pennies in the bank Barny1979

I had to laugh Siebrie I had visions of large items of clutter carrying in small items of clutter & settling in comfortably

Please make sure you look after yourself short_bird

Almost there Rootle

See you all tomorrow - hopefully a few others will pop in & let us know how their decluttering is progressing.

MrsSD
    4658/4038
    • villagelife
    • By villagelife 13th Dec 19, 6:50 AM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 21,820 Thanks
    villagelife
    Some more has been decluttered.

1569-1573 Christmas decorations which have seen better days and which I should have thrown away when I put them away after last chr.
    1574 a calendar from DH accountant to DH work. In previous years it has say in the hall til March when I threw it out.
    1575 book to League of Friends shop.

Have things to take to charity shop so will be back later.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,360Posts Today

6,843Users online

Martin's Twitter