Saving for..?

Comments

• Am so sorry to read your news. I hope your friends brother is found safe and sound x
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Still no news on him :( Another person went missing but his body has since been recovered. Whilst Christmas is an exciting happy time for some people, it triggers a deep depression in others. I'm seeing it happening at work and am working with some clients who are struggling and I am so concerned about them. I am not a mental health or addictions nurse but majority of my clients struggle with this and often I'm the only person they can talk to. I can't get them the help they need but sometimes feel so responsible for them!!

I had an incident a few days ago with an old client. Can't go into details for confidentiality reasons but clearly she was so desperate for support she sought me out even though I no longer work with her. Luckily I am off work after this week as I think a few more weeks of this would not be good for my mental health either. I can't help but worry and feel guilty if someone needs my help and I'm not there though. I know we need these times to ourselves though.

I have booked a hair cut and my eyebrows to be done and have plans with boyfriend so hopefully that will help me relax some.

Gonna try make some cottage pie whilst laundry is on. Tomorrow I'll need to vote then pop to the store for some groceries. Christmas meal is cancelled due to people getting sick (I feel myself getting the cold too but knowing my luck it'll be on my birthday next week!) so should get my deposit back but will use it to get lunch anyway on Friday.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • savingwannabe
    savingwannabe Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I hope your friend's brother is found. V scary times.

Well done on avoiding a cold so far. I have too! and on having a refund from the Christmas meal. I wish ours could be refunded.

I work in a similar environment you need to have a break for your own mental health.
    Aiming for a minimal spend 2022
  • I do usually get a cold in winter. I had the actual flu in February though! I was off work for the week but wasn't right for a few weeks after that! It was absolutely horrible and first time I've ever had the flu.

Today was really busy but it felt good to be somewhat useful. I then went to vote and it didn't seem really busy and apparently back home in the North it's been quite quiet. Tomorrow is a relatively chill day but I'll be expecting calls. Then I'm free!!!

I received my deposit back so I'll take that off my entertainment budget, I then went to the store for some more groceries and treated myself instead of looking at prices so it does take me to near budget but oh well. I think I get paid tomorrow :)

Groceries: £23.72/£25
    Petrol: £20.01/£55
    Entertainment: £24.85/£60
  • Fingers crossed you wont get flu - I had it a few years ago and nearly lost my job! lol. Well done for getting your deposit back.

I hope you got paid and had a good weekend.
  • I did get paid and my payslip had a bit about pension contribution but no number next to it so not sure it went through. It means I can't do an up to date SOA until then either.

The deposit I got back ended up getting paid back towards pizza and some ciders! Only £10 for a good night and the most expensive was getting a train back!! I missed my train that I had booked through work because I stayed out later than I thought I would have so £12.70 on a train home. Also as I was feeling a bit fragile the next day I had to get a bus from home instead of driving to my bf so extra money from my travel budget used up there too. Ah well, this time of year is so much busier plus with my birthday, nephews birthdays etc it's more expensive so I'll let myself off.

Speaking of!! I should be an auntie again by tonight or tomorrow morning as brothers gf is being induced (early because the baby is large). I gave my mum money to get them a gift already. Not sure when I'll get to see them as I usually go around about now but they'll be busy with their baby and I'll be busy in January. Was hoping to take bf up but he'll be back to Uni so it'll be a quick visit from me.

I also came home to a christmas card from one of my elderly neighbours which was nice, if anyone remembers I had a little problem with them gossiping about me a few months ago.. seems all is well!

Oh well, I'm off next week so will be catching up with my soaps and TV shows. Wednesday I'm getting my eyebrows done then Thursday I'll be getting my haircut then celebrating my birthday! :j

I no longer need to take note of my petrol costs as I'm not spending very much but having weighed up the pros and cons I would still like to keep my car. Still trying to keep my grocery budget at £100 for the month and my entertainment for £60 but will definitely go over that this pay period but keeping it at £60 so I don't go too far.

Anyway, time to catch up on my competitions :)

Groceries: £23.72/£25
    Entertainment: £22.70/£60
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    edited 17 December 2019 at 3:46PM
    Gosh you know it's actually quite boring being off work.... there has been several things happening though.

Friends brother hasn't been found but a childhood friend of mine died yesterday. She struggled with addiction and mental health. She has a 1 year old daughter. Her own mother passed away from addiction when she was a child. So sad. She was a lovely person who brightened up a room. The past few months she was talking about feeling better and focusing on herself. We are only in our mid 20's.

I became an auntie again on Sunday too. Another boy :).

Still some issues going on regarding an ex-client of mine that I can't go into but I'm hoping it'll be over soon.

So let's see...
    I bought new headphones yesterday as my other ones were getting very hot and I noticed fraying. Better safe than sorry so new ones bought @ £42 on sale which isn't too bad.
    I then went to Asda and bought some snacks and nice smelly and comforting things but not including that in my grocery budget as I just wanted to treat myself.

The plan for this week is to clean the house today and tomorrow. Tomorrow I have my eyebrow waxing then Thursday is my birthday - I'm getting my haircut in the morning then going to the Christmas market! Will spend the night at boyfriends then we'll be heading back home to chill at mine. I'll be back to work for one day then off Tue & Wed then back Thu & Fri. I have a half day on the 31st and already have (free) alcohol so hopefully won't need to spend too much. Deffo my fav time of year :j

Groceries: £18.53/£25
    Entertainment: £22.70/£60
  • savingwannabe
    Congratulations on time off and on being an auntie. I am so sorry about losing your friend and the missing brother is scary. I hope he is ok and found soon.

Hurrah for your new headphones. Glad you are treating yourself to a nice haircut and eyebrows for your birthday. Have a good time at the Market and partying! It sounds very glam.:j
  • God energy companies !!!! me right off.

Received a FINAL REMINDER bill from Utilita that needs to be paid within 7 days of the letter date... which is tomorrow...

Have never received a bill from them before so I call up to make sure it's my bill I'm paying.. they send me over the documents.. fair enough, I owe them money but it was their fault for not sending the bills to the right address even though I told them I was leaving their company because I was moving and gave them my new address to send the final bill for. So why soon as they realise they have the wrong address do they send a final reminder threatening bill when they were at fault :mad: I left that property in July.

I've paid it all off now so hopefully no more letters. Useless.
  • savingwannabe
    Well done on paying it. Just before Christmas too that could have tipped someone right over the edge financially. :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure