Temporary Job Relocation - mortgage?

Hi all

I am currently looking for a new job and have been more specifically looking into taking a graduate job (I graduated from uni 2 years ago) with a much higher pay than I am on now. I am really interested in a specific job working with a global company starting in September 2020 which has a location only 15 mins from where I currently live with my parents (Glenrothes, Scotland).

I am now looking to purchase a property of my own with my partner in the next 6-7 months and my search area would bring me even closer to this work location. BONUS!!

However, since I have applied for the above position, the job specification has been changed from a possibility of rotations between locations to now being mandatory and part of the contract (I assume) for 1 year in Essex (430 miles).

My question is, has anyone get any experience with a short-term temporary job relocation with financial commitments like a mortgage, car etc? Is accommodation always provided? Food allowance?

I know I may be jumping the gun a little as I haven't even been offered the job yet but I really can't find any other advice.

Thanks in advance.
First Time Buyer (Scotland)
DIP 13/02/2020 ~ Offer Accepted 02/03/2020 ~ Full Application 19/3/2020 ~ Valuation Booked 19/03/2020 ~ Mortgage Offer Issued 20/03/2020 ~ Completed 15/05/2020

Comments

• gozaimasu
    gozaimasu Posts: 860 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Accommodation should be provided for such a distance where daily travel is unfeasible. They should also provide a travel allowance which would allow you to return home at weekends whilst in Essex. That's still a lot of a travelling though, you might not want to go home every weekend for a year.

Food allowance was provided to me for 5 weeks away in a hotel. Breakfast was included plus £20 daily evening meal, but only from the hotel menu, no alcohol allowed. £20 barely covered a main course AND a starter/dessert due to the extortionate hotel prices. No lunch was included during the 5 weeks

A friend was down for a longer period of 10 months and was provided a rented room in a shared accommodation. No food allowance because it was if they were living "at home" where they would be expected to cook their own meals.

Generally these kinds of things would be covered in the employment terms and conditions but I gather you haven't got those yet since you don't have the job!

Is it a question you would feel comfortable asking about at the interview?
  • gozaimasu wrote: »
    Accommodation should be provided for such a distance where daily travel is unfeasible. They should also provide a travel allowance which would allow you to return home at weekends whilst in Essex. That's still a lot of a travelling though, you might not want to go home every weekend for a year.

Food allowance was provided to me for 5 weeks away in a hotel. Breakfast was included plus £20 daily evening meal, but only from the hotel menu, no alcohol allowed. £20 barely covered a main course AND a starter/dessert due to the extortionate hotel prices. No lunch was included during the 5 weeks

A friend was down for a longer period of 10 months and was provided a rented room in a shared accommodation. No food allowance because it was if they were living "at home" where they would be expected to cook their own meals.

Generally these kinds of things would be covered in the employment terms and conditions but I gather you haven't got those yet since you don't have the job!

Is it a question you would feel comfortable asking about at the interview?

On what planet?

There are no guarantees of anything. You can ask the question. But there are no laws. So what is their offer is their offer. Some other employer might offer something else. But that's their choice.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All depends on the employer.

Why not ask them ?
    You would get a much better idea than asking on a forum.
  • DCFC79 wrote: »
    You would get a much better idea than asking on a forum.

I only asked if anyone had experience, I didn't expect anyone to know the employers terms and conditions.
    DIP 13/02/2020 ~ Offer Accepted 02/03/2020 ~ Full Application 19/3/2020 ~ Valuation Booked 19/03/2020 ~ Mortgage Offer Issued 20/03/2020 ~ Completed 15/05/2020
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 883 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    On a graduate scheme I wouldn't expect to receive any help as to me it would be implied that you would need to work in a variety of different places. I certainly didn't get any assistance on a graduate scheme years ago and doubt it has improved. Actually tell a lie I did get a photocopy of yellow pages with list of letting agents!!
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 December 2019 at 10:44AM
    I only asked if anyone had experience, I didn't expect anyone to know the employers terms and conditions.

What anyone else's "experience" has been is utterly irrelevant because a company does what its own policies say, not "what the internet says".

My experience was being put up in a five star hotel with unlimited booze, being fanned by giant palm leaves and fed grapes by naked slave girls. That ain't gonna help you though it is?
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Is it Raytheon?

As you live in the areas you must know someone that works at the place whatever it is.

If not directly through networking.
  • ReadingTim wrote: »
    What anyone else's "experience" has been is utterly irrelevant because a company does what its own policies say, not "what the internet says".

My experience was being put up in a five star hotel with unlimited booze, being fanned by giant palm leaves and fed grapes by naked slave girls. That ain't gonna help you though it is?

Again, I'm only looking to her other peoples experiences as I genuinely interests me. Really don't see why you had to post an UNHELPFUL reply like this.
  • graduate schemes often assume you have no ties and can rent wherever. So, ask, but expect a refusal.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You could easily ask indirectly and be able infer their policy at interview - it may be fully expensed or not.

Either way, consider what would you do from a practical sense (e.g. rent your Fife property out) and the extra costs as Essex will be more expensive than Fife.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport