Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Yorky1
    • By Yorky1 29th Nov 19, 6:02 PM
    • 102Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Yorky1
    0 WOW
    Christmas sun for solo traveller
    • 29th Nov 19, 6:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Christmas sun for solo traveller 29th Nov 19 at 6:02 PM
    I've been looking online for a sun holiday over xmas on a budget but unsure where to go as a solo traveller. Somewhere relaxing and with a bit of life but not a party location.

Separate flights (from Ireland) and airbnb accommodation to Gran Canaria and Costa del Sol are around 100-200 and 300-500 respectively.

I'm not familiar with these places and haven't been away at Christmas before.

Would be grateful for any advice.
Page 2
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Dec 19, 10:43 AM
    • 19,686 Posts
    • 12,353 Thanks
    motorguy
    As someone who for many years have holidayed in the Canaries I can just imagine what areas the airbnb could be in and it would not be where any "life" is.I would also say that many times I have seen on the islands news programs mainland Spain having snow in December,so for a solo traveller IMO it would not be the best of holidays,still who knows they "could" be lucky and get just what they want.
    Personally I will stick to paying a small fortune and know I will get what I require
    Originally posted by London50
    Yes, location is important, however it does show accommodation can be got for not a large amount of money.

Yes, i too have been to the Canaries many times over many years - typically twice a year at least, and we always book accommodation via owners direct or airbnb.

Yes, i would avoid mainland Spain in December. Thats pretty much a no brainer IMHO.

Yes, there is a sliding scale of costs depending on budget and preferences - pretty much the same with every holiday? The O/P has told us they want a holiday "on a budget". Its simply a matter of balancing location, quality and price to suit that budget. A cursory look over Christmas suggests it perfectly possible to get a nice, fresh modern apartment close to a resort centre for that budget.

Yes, like you I've had fantastic holidays when spending many thousands. Unlike you by the sounds of it I've also had fantastic holidays when spending a few hundred. Perhaps the O/P has experienced the same, even if you havent

Holidays are what you make of them, not about necessarily spending vast sums of money.
    Last edited by motorguy; 03-12-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Dec 19, 11:10 AM
    • 19,686 Posts
    • 12,353 Thanks
    motorguy
    My view is

Mainland Spain - (relatively cold) and cheap

Canaries - warm and relatively cheap

Mexico, Egypt, etc - warm to hot but (potentially) expensive.
    Last edited by motorguy; 03-12-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    Life has never given me lemons.

It has given me anger issues, anxiety, a love for alcohol and a serious dislike for stupid people, but not lemons.
    • iwb100
    • By iwb100 4th Dec 19, 10:54 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 181 Thanks
    iwb100
    Egypt isn't an expensive destination - obviously depends on the flights. Personally I think if you go abroad in peak winter December/January/February then its better to go long haul - you can get nice warm weather closer but for ME its always a little too cold to enjoy the swimming or beach fully - depends what you want to do.

Dubai is a good option - but expensive.

Cape Verde - that's a good choice. Or blow the budget and go to the Caribbean/Mexico for guaranteed heat?
    • tooldle
    • By tooldle 4th Dec 19, 11:10 AM
    • 309 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    tooldle
    I wouldn't write off Southern Spain. We have visited the Valencia region at Christmas / New Year on a couple of occasions. Daytime weather is quite warm and sunny, although it does get quite cold at night. Definitely warm enough to be outside in shorts and t-shirt from mid morning through to sunset.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 4th Dec 19, 12:17 PM
    • 5,303 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I wouldn't write off Southern Spain. We have visited the Valencia region at Christmas / New Year on a couple of occasions. Daytime weather is quite warm and sunny, although it does get quite cold at night. Definitely warm enough to be outside in shorts and t-shirt from mid morning through to sunset.
    Originally posted by tooldle
    It's always funny to be in Spain in the winter and see northern Europeans in shorts and t-shirts while the locals have their big winter fur coats on.

Anywhere on the Costas is going to be a gamble. I've seen it be warm enough for sunbathing for a few hours on Christmas Day but equally it could rain all day. Whatever happens though it will almost certainly be warmer than at home.

The Canaries are more reliable with mid-20s virtually guaranteed.

If you want hotter than that they you need to be looking at the Caribbean/Mexico, middle east or SE Asia but they may be too far to go for a week.
    • tooldle
    • By tooldle 4th Dec 19, 1:21 PM
    • 309 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    tooldle
    It's always funny to be in Spain in the winter and see northern Europeans in shorts and t-shirts while the locals have their big winter fur coats on.

Anywhere on the Costas is going to be a gamble. I've seen it be warm enough for sunbathing for a few hours on Christmas Day but equally it could rain all day. Whatever happens though it will almost certainly be warmer than at home.

The Canaries are more reliable with mid-20s virtually guaranteed.

If you want hotter than that they you need to be looking at the Caribbean/Mexico, middle east or SE Asia but they may be too far to go for a week.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    I agree it is peculiar, and have seen the same in Fuerteventura in winter.
    It's not unusual to see Spaniards from the north, staying on the Costa Blanca in winter. Out of three weeks last year, we had only the one day of rain. Campsites in the area we visit are packed for Christmas/New Year. Conditions are great for those who like a more active holiday.
    • melanzana
    • By melanzana 4th Dec 19, 6:00 PM
    • 3,590 Posts
    • 9,098 Thanks
    melanzana
    We visited Estepona until mid November. It was so amazing. 23/4 most days.

But TBH it is not the heat that matters, although it is a bonus, it is the longer days with sunset more than two ours behind us.

Will be going again mid January. But we can cope with wind and rain (by not going out much lol), still the longer days are just so inviting!

As others have said Southern Spain does have Winter. But you can be lucky too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,339Posts Today

6,672Users online

Martin's Twitter