Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Simon Duffy
    • By Simon Duffy 2nd Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Simon Duffy
    Which BANK - download old statement data in EXCEL
    • 2nd Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    Which BANK - download old statement data in EXCEL 2nd Mar 18 at 4:26 PM
    I bank with HSBC

HSBC only offer PDF options for downloading historic statement data.

I want to switch to a bank that will allow me to download (for example) 1 year's worth of my data into excel.

Is there a good bank that offers this service to customers?
Page 1
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 2nd Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 3,944 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 2nd Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    I bank with HSBC

I want to switch to a bank that will allow me to download (for example) 1 year's worth of my data into excel.

Originally posted by Simon Duffy
    You can download transaction data from HSBC in CSV format. These files can be loaded or imported in to Excel.

Format of the file is date, description, amount.

The description contains payer/payee, reference and type of transaction.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 2nd Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 442 Posts
    • 296 Thanks
    BooJewels
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 5:57 PM
    You can download transaction data from HSBC in CSV format. These files can be loaded or imported in to Excel.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    Ditto from Halifax - .CSV and .QIF files types available (latter is noted as Quicken and Money).

I just tried a .CSV and it has headers: Transaction Date Transaction Type; Sort Code; Account Number; Transaction Description; Debit Amount; Credit Amount; Balance. The sort and account appeared to be your own, so I'm not sure how useful that is.

Not sure how far back it can go as I only tried this year to check the headers, I'd been logged out before I could check how far back I could select a date for - but I could go back over 6 years with .pdfs as I recently downloaded them all to archive.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 2nd Mar 18, 11:22 PM
    • 10,732 Posts
    • 31,551 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:22 PM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 11:22 PM
    I agree with the others, all the banks I use have some kind of system to extract data to use in Excel. The main problem I've found is limitations on how much data can be downloaded at a time. From memory TSB is the worst with a maximum of 3 months per download.

Even if there isn't a csv option you should find it possible to copy the text from most PDFs and import it into Excel. You might be lucky and able to paste it directly in, but otherwise pasting it into a text editor (like notepad) and then importing the txt file should work (although it may require some work on the formatting).
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • daschom
    • By daschom 4th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daschom
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    Statement data
    • 4th Mar 18, 4:49 PM
    Not sure if it's just me but did Halifax remove the transaction details from online statements you can download using online banking?
    h*tps://d.pr/i/izSLyq+

I also have not received any monthly statements but rather a yearly statement?
    • DayDreamJay
    • By DayDreamJay 3rd Dec 19, 2:15 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DayDreamJay
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:15 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 2:15 AM

Format of the file is date, description, amount.

The description contains payer/payee, reference and type of transaction.
    Originally posted by SnowTiger
    How would I do this please?
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 3rd Dec 19, 4:47 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 3rd Dec 19, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 4:47 PM
    How would I do this please?
    Originally posted by DayDreamJay
    At the foot of the transactions list there is a download link. However it appears that only 6 weeks of transactions can be viewed and hence downloaded.

After downloading, a new browser tab opens (I am using Chrome) but this is blank. Fortunately, a csv file was saved in my default download folder.
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 3rd Dec 19, 4:49 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 1,124 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 3rd Dec 19, 4:49 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 4:49 PM
    I bank with HSBC

Originally posted by Simon Duffy
    NatWest allows you to download 7 years of transactions but only 12 months at a time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,676Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter