Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lmh713
    • By Lmh713 2nd Dec 19, 10:10 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Lmh713
    Insurance “cancellation” now ruining my life!
    • 2nd Dec 19, 10:10 PM
    Insurance “cancellation” now ruining my life! 2nd Dec 19 at 10:10 PM
    Last year I decided to pay my car insurance monthly instead of in a lump sum for the first time in my life.
    I did my quotes, chose a company, set up my insurance, set up my online account, logged in to send over my proof of no claims... to find my insurance had been cancelled!
    I called the company and it turned out I had mixed up two digits on my account number so my bank had refused the direct debit request and my insurance company had instantly cancelled my insurance. First payment wasn’t even due!
    My company reassured me that this wouldn’t be a problem for me in the future as I could just explain to my future insurance companies that it was just a misunderstanding. They couldn’t reinstate the policy because it wasn’t the same day. They had apparently sent an email, but I didn’t receive anything. They set up a new policy for the same price, I paid my deposit again and they refunded half of my first deposit.

Forward a year and I’m supposed to be picking up a new car on Friday.... only to discover that I can’t get insurance because I’ve had insurance cancelled! I tried their “phone and tell them” technique and 5/6 of my cheapest quotes turned me down. The fifth asked for a letter from my insurance company stating it was a misunderstanding. I asked my insurance company, they said they could only provide a letter stating it was cancelled due to my direct debit.
    The chap I spoke to basically laughed and said “you’re too honest”, “it’s a grey area” and “our letter would say your most recent insurance was cancelled voluntarily”. Not helpful.. when I’m insuring a Ł33,000 car I need to know my insurance is 100% valid!

I now have this hanging over me FOR LIFE as of course there’s no expiry date or “within 5 years” option for insurance cancellation.

Does anybody have any advice? I’m desperate. At this rate and the premiums I’ve been quoted I’m never going to be able to drive again.
Page 1
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 2nd Dec 19, 10:49 PM
    • 26,235 Posts
    • 13,402 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 2nd Dec 19, 10:49 PM
    • 2nd Dec 19, 10:49 PM
    If I was paying Ł33k for a car then I would want their insurance for free for first year!.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • Morph4610
    • By Morph4610 3rd Dec 19, 8:53 AM
    • 135 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Morph4610
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:53 AM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 8:53 AM
    Hi Lmh - the guy you spoke to is sort of right. It is a grey area. The question is not designed for your circumstances but is intended for policies that may be cancelled due to significant non disclosures e.g. claims and convictions etc. You may have to be patient with your best bet probably to talk to a broker where you can have a sensible conversation about what happened. And the letter which your previous insurer says they'll provide about the cancellation being voluntary is probably helpful so I'd get that as it will support your story to an extent. Good luck.
    • garth549
    • By garth549 3rd Dec 19, 1:53 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    garth549
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:53 PM
    • 3rd Dec 19, 1:53 PM
    I've always been under the impression that most insurers would not be concerned by a cancellation for an administrative reason such as a failed DD. It's far less serious than non-disclosure for example.

Which insurers have you tried? Budget insurers may be less willing to insure you. Have you tried Aviva or DirectLine for example?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,372Posts Today

6,808Users online

Martin's Twitter