Queries on switching providers through comparison sites or direct

GSDog89
GSDog89 Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
Good evening

I am currently with Shell Energy and having used a couple of the comparison sites I've quickly realised that I can save some money by switching.

The cheaper tariff for me appears to be the SSE "Exclusive 1 Year Fixed v8" tariff accordingly to the comparisons. I can only appear to find that tariff on the comparison sites - when I visit SSE direct I can only find a basic 1 yr fixed tariff with much higher rates. Is the "Exclusive 1 Year Fixed v8" only available through comparison sites?

The reason I ask is that I can get £100 cashback and £50 Amazon vouchers if I go through SSE direct, I just can't find the tariff on their website anywhere!

The other confusing issue I have is that I appear to have an economy 7 meter but it's being used as a normal meter. The night values have never changed and despite numerous requests for a different meter none of my previous energy suppliers will listen. Its causing a bit of confusion when trying to switch as some providers are asking for the day and night usages but I only have day usages.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Comments

• Biscuit_Tin
    Biscuit_Tin Posts: 782 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    edited 3 December 2019 at 12:13AM
    GSDog89 wrote: »
    Good evening

I am currently with Shell Energy and having used a couple of the comparison sites I've quickly realised that I can save some money by switching.

The cheaper tariff for me appears to be the SSE "Exclusive 1 Year Fixed v8" tariff accordingly to the comparisons. I can only appear to find that tariff on the comparison sites - when I visit SSE direct I can only find a basic 1 yr fixed tariff with much higher rates. Is the "Exclusive 1 Year Fixed v8" only available through comparison sites?

The reason I ask is that I can get £100 cashback and £50 Amazon vouchers if I go through SSE direct, I just can't find the tariff on their website anywhere!

The other confusing issue I have is that I appear to have an economy 7 meter but it's being used as a normal meter. The night values have never changed and despite numerous requests for a different meter none of my previous energy suppliers will listen. Its causing a bit of confusion when trying to switch as some providers are asking for the day and night usages but I only have day usages.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Follow your supplier's complaint procedure to get your meter attended to to ensure it works correctly, before attempting to switch supplier.

If I understand you correctly,m you should still have 2 registry readings, and your current supplier should be requesting them from you, despite being charged on a single rate tariff. But with your broken meter, one of the registries never changes.

If I have understood you incorrectly, and you really only currently have 1 registry, you will need to get the meter changed to an E7 meter (a charge may apply)

If one of the registries has not worked for a long period of time, how do you know what quantity/percentage of electricity you currently use during the low rate period??? :huh:

Yes, tariffs exclusively available from comparison sites are not available direct from the supplier.
  • GSDog89
    GSDog89 Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks for the reply.

It is rather confusing in that there are definitely dual rates on my digital meter, the off peak never changes and they've only ever requested the peak. I'm currently on the Shell Energy First Fixed June 2020 V2 tariff if that helps?

It's as if I'm on a single rate tariff and they're using the dual rate meter as a single rate meter, if that's even possible?

Either way I do not have storage heaters and use very little energy at night so I would prefer a single rate meter and tariff to simplify things!

Thanks for answering about the exclusive tariffs. I will forfeit the cashback and vouchers for the better rates!
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,400 Forumite
    OP, if you are only switching for a year, factor in the cashback and vouchers. No point going for the cheaper rate if it is only £149 cheaper, than the rate with £100 cashback and £50 voucher. Keep the cashback towards your future bills, and use the voucher instead of cash, which you can then put towards future bills. Sorry if that's teaching you to suck eggs.
    For info, my son had E7 but he ended up switching to a single rate deal as it was cheaper overall for him.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Does night usage get recorded?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Does night usage get recorded?
    i.e. does the peak register increment 24 hours a day? In which case, it may just be the reception of the switching signal that's broken.
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,936 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Talldave wrote: »
    In which case, it may just be the reception of the switching signal that's broken.
    Unlikely: if it's a Long Wave radio teleswitch it will just revert to the deafult switching times. The radio signal synchronises the internal clock and provies an offset of up to +/- 15 minutes for load management purposes.

Of course, if it's a smart meter then anything is possible !
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure