Unpaid Fare Penalty

Options
13»

Comments

• Kiko4564
    Kiko4564 Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As much as I think being called an "offender" without a trial is harsh, I still think that the OP should take responsibility for their own actions.
  • Kiko4564
    Options
    Why didn't they just issue a return UPFN in the first place then? I don't see any reason why they can't, unless they believed you were fare dodging, which clearly they did not.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    If you read the OP again you will see on this occasion instead of going to the ticket desk and getting a ticket at the first station [analogy: supermarket branch] they instead boarded the train without one.

They then went to buy a ticket at a different station after they had used the service so effectively "tried to pay at a different supermarket branch" because you are supposed to buy a ticket before you travel when the station you are leaving from has a ticket office.
    Nonsense; the analogy makes no sense, as I stated above.

I find it amusing when people try to apply supermarket analogies to railway tickets; such comparisons can be made for amusement purposes only and not for serious discussion.

Kiko4564 wrote: »
    Why didn't they just issue a return UPFN in the first place then? I don't see any reason why they can't, unless they believed you were fare dodging, which clearly they did not.
    Firstly, not all Train Companies will issue Unpaid Fare Notices (UFNs) for return journeys.

Secondly, if a member of staff believes a passenger is "fare dodging" and wishes to proceed on that basis, the correct action is not to issue a UFN but instead to report the matter for prosecution.

A UFN is issued where a passenger is unable - or not expected - to pay the fare due, which could be for a variety of reasons, but has nothing to do with accusations of "fare dodging"
  • Kiko4564
    edited 9 December 2019 at 9:11PM
    Options
    Not necessarily, what about a passenger boarding a service at a station where you can pay on the train e.g. a Greater Anglia Paytrain station, but who had no money and intended on chancing it i.e. paying only when challenged, and even then on another day, and not immediately. Is that not a form of fare dodging, even if the person intends on giving their name and address, and paying a UPFN within 21 days?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure