Selling my small business

Options
Hi All

I’m a sole trader, and I run a children’s party hire business.

It makes a good profit, but as I’ve recently returned to work full time I am unable to give the business the level of commitment it deserves.

I’d like to sell for around £3,000.

I’ve listed it on gumtree and Facebook marketplace, and I’ve also signed up to a 20 day free trial for a website called BusinessesForSale.com

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for places I could list the business?

I’m keen to sell as soon as possible, and don’t really know where to start!

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 31 October 2019 at 2:51PM
    Options
    LucySwann wrote: »
    Hi All

I’m a sole trader, and I run a children’s party hire business.

It makes a good profit, but as I’ve recently returned to work full time I am unable to give the business the level of commitment it deserves.

I’d like to sell for around £3,000.

I’ve listed it on gumtree and Facebook marketplace, and I’ve also signed up to a 20 day free trial for a website called BusinessesForSale.com

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions for places I could list the business?

I’m keen to sell as soon as possible, and don’t really know where to start!

Many thanks :)

You will not be selling "the business" as that does not exist as an entity if you are a sole trader.

What you will be selling is the goodwill that the business has, any intellectual property that you own in connection with the business and any physical items that you have that you use for the business. Note the business does not own any of these physical or non-physical items. You own them.

You will need to research whether your gumtree, facebook accounts etc where you advertise your business can be transferred from your name into someone else's name. I doubt whether they can.

I have no experience of agents who sell businesses, but I believe there are many dubious ones out there.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mistral001 wrote: »
    I have no experience of agents who sell businesses, but I believe there are many dubious ones out there.
    And presumably even good ones would take a sizeable fee or percentage of the selling price.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    martindow wrote: »
    And presumably even good ones would take a sizeable fee or percentage of the selling price.

None of them will be interested on a business with a sale price of only £3,000 - their fees will take most, if not all, of that. It's hard enough getting legitimate decent business agents interested for a business selling for £25k!

OP, have you thought about listing it on Ebay or in the local newspaper?
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Unless you have a list of likely repeat customers or recommendations, other than whatever physical items you would be selling, you have little to offer.

Now that there is a gap in the market with your departure, what is to stop someone else buying the necessary equipment and just setting up on their own?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Mistral001
    Mistral001 Posts: 5,349 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 1 November 2019 at 10:04AM
    Options
    If you have more than just the physical items that you use for your business and have intellectual property such as a trademarked business name, goodwill, or a client list to sell, then you could consult your accountant to find a solicitor who could advise you on how to sell these instead of getting an agent.
  • inmypocketnottheirs
    Options
    What have you actually got to sell?

Are we talking about materials, website, existing business/bookings...? What is the turnover/profitability like? Can the business be relocated? What is the competition? What are your unique selling points?
    Don't lie, thieve, cheat or steal. The Government do not like the competition.
    The Lord Giveth and the Government Taketh Away.
    I'm sorry, I don't apologise. That's just the way I am. Homer (Simpson)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure