We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Trees that grow under the fence

I recently had my next door neighbour ask us to sort out a tree on our side of the fence because it was growing against the fence and making it bow. We got it removed, but when they cut it down to ground level and started grinding the stump, about 90% of the stump was on the neighbour's side (but I think below ground level).

Not sure who is liable here if anyone?

On a similar note, they have a lot of bamboo plants near where this tree was and bamboo is starting to sprout on our side of the fence in the lawn, up to a foot or two away from the fence - it is quite unsightly and difficult to deal with - seems to grow at some pace!
Not sure if how to deal with this.
To err is human, but it is against company policy.

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Bamboo, if it is "only" in your lawn then normal mowing as you cut the grass will prevent it going mad

However it sounds like it the creeping type and if it gets hold in your borders you will wish the tree was back:D
    As quid pro quo perhaps you can ask the neighbour to sort their bamboo out?
    It would need either complete destruction or deep root proof barrier between them & you

The tree stump, if underground could be just left to rot in peace
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure