Please clarify...
    mad mocs - the pavement worrier
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Please clarify...

What don't you understand...?

If the light is red, you stop and wait. If the light is green, you stop and confirm visually that it is safe to proceed before proceeding.
  • Rolandtheroadie
    Rolandtheroadie Posts: 5,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 February 2015 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Please clarify...

The stop line's there because no matter what, you need to stop. (that was a random picture, I've never seen stop written at a user worked crossing before)

You'll then need to then check that the light's green. If it is, dismount your horse/exit your vehicle and pump up the barriers.

Once back in/on your mode of transport, check the lights.

Still green? Cross line, dismount/exit, and lower barriers again.

If you have any doubt about your ability to cross safely, contact signaller from the convenient phones and he/she will assist you.
    The picture I've posted also has a CCTV camera so someone should be keeping an eye on you too.

For areas with overhead lines, there will probably be bells tied to a wire between two poles either side of the crossing. If you hit the bells, dont cross.
  • RedheadFred
    Options
    To clarify - the light was for the users of the crossing - cars, pedestrians, animals etc. No stop sign or automatic barriers - manual gates and a sign saying to check the light.
    I use the crossing many times a day and have done for about two years and that was the only time I had issues - but it is the sort of issue you never want to happen!
    It would have been worse if the light had been for the train - they'd have been given a green light and I would have possibly assumed it had a red and was going to stop. Although there's no real good outcome to light errors - just another reason to stop, look, listen!
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 February 2015 at 8:45PM
    Options
    There wouldn't be this problem if railway lines were significantly widened, then the carriages/trains could travel singularly, orientated at right angles to the tracks, then modsandtrollers et al in their cars could nip across in the resulting gaps; no one need to stop at all.
  • Stigy
    Stigy Posts: 1,581 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I seem to recall a while ago that NWR were to decommission a lot of less busy level crossings by closing roads, and busier ones by investing in road bridges. This seems to be the best thing to do given how some idiots treat level crossings.
  • armyknife
    armyknife Posts: 596 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Stigy wrote: »
    I seem to recall a while ago that NWR were to decommission a lot of less busy level crossings by closing roads, and busier ones by investing in road bridges. This seems to be the best thing to do given how some idiots treat level crossings.

[mods...]

Those would be the train drivers.

[/mods...]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills