PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food Waste Audit Diary May 2019

Comments

• Out,_Vile_Jelly
    Out,_Vile_Jelly Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My council collects food waste and turns it into biofuel. Most of mine goes into my compost bin; last weekend I got 4 buckets of black gold to put on my veg patch and continue the cycle.

So I honestly don't worry about food scraps that get repurposed in this manner; as long as they're not ending up stinking in landfill.
    They are an EYESORES!!!!
  • lesbro
    lesbro Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It is classified as waste if it going on the compost heap? I might have a bone from chops or chicken which do have to go to waste otherwise I have zero. As pensioners and born before and during WW11 we don't believe in wasting food and our Great Grandchildren are told to eat everything.
  • freyasmum wrote: »
    I do believe that I'm the only person who actually enjoys eating the heel of a loaf :rotfl:

Nope, I even dive down the end of the bag of bread to snaffle the far crust as well!
  • stirchleygirl
    stirchleygirl Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    tighteningthebelt[/B
    Well done for this thread being mentioned in Martin's email today :-)
    I am disabled 11 years with CFS/ME and also have problems with my working memory
  • Well done for this thread being mentioned in Martin's email today :-)

Gosh!! Fame?

Here's today's thrilling installment.... :rotfl:
    155g unavoidable I'm putting the whole lot in unavoidable for the first time today... teabags, coffee grounds, green bean stalks, very bottom of a spring green, onion skin and tops/bottoms, pepper stalk and seeds, very end of mushroom stalks, orange peel.

Missed the free bananas though. sigh.
    A bit of grin and bear it, a bit of come and share it
    You're welcome we can spare it, yellow socks
  • My council collects food waste and turns it into biofuel.
    wish mine did! they all will soon i believe.
  • lesbro wrote: »
    It is classified as waste if it going on the compost heap?
    sadly, yes... not my rules though, or many other people on here.

if anyone's interested this is the report the figures are taken from, and the rules of play!
    http://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap/Household_food_waste_in_the_UK_2015_Report.pdf
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I threw out 4 wraps that had been lurking in between the washing machine and counter top and were green...Bad me.

Threw out the usual carrier bag for the rubbish today of various non recyclables but this time the bag was 3/4 full, not full...And I don't even know how I managed to throw out less.
    Compost caddy half full from emptying yesterday, banana peel, eggshells, apple cores, top end of leeks, onion skins, teabags, till receipts, odd bits of paper making up most of it. New compost bin [for aesthetics instead of three pallets] to be installed when not throwing buckets from heaven.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Had to throw out DHS packed lunch yesterday. He forgot to take it to work and left it in the porch for some reason. When I found it it had been sitting in the sun for 5 hours!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    wish mine did! they all will soon i believe.

Not necessarily... Some areas have reintroduced charges for garden/compostable waste disposal. I know my dad's council does provide a food waste caddy, but I don't think my mum's does. (Both pay for garden waste to be removed anyway, but you can't put food in with it anymore - I think.) Fortunately we still have free garden and food waste collection!

Thanks for the report TTB, that will make interesting reading. Presumably there'll be another one out soon as this one (2015) makes ref to one from 2012?
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure