resigning to care for child with dla

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had any advice about resigning to look after child with middle level dla. I currently work part time and when I am working my mum looks after my child but she is in her late 70's and it's getting too much for her. I spoke to universal credit today and they said you can have sanctions for up to 3 years for voluntarily resigning. I currently claim no benefits. Any advice?

Comments

• kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Did you tell her that you are considering resigning because you have to care for a disabled child? Do you get Carer's Allowance?
  • Hi
    yes I explained the dla she gets and I earn about 70 pounds a week too much to get carers allowance at the moment.
  • I would phone them again and see what another advisor says, I've never heard of a 3 year sanction.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    njane54321 wrote: »
    Hi
    I earn about 70 pounds a week too much to get carers allowance at the moment.

That's not correct, you don't earn over the max a mount per week to claim Carers allowance. The maximum amount is £123 per week (just increased) after deductions. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/eligibility

My advice is to make an appointment with your local CAB to get a full benefits check. They will be able to tell you exactly what you can claim and how much based on your circumstances.
  • Shortypie
    Shortypie Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Following with interest as I’m contemplating the same thing. I have 2 12 year old boys with ASD/ADHD/learning difficulties attending special school and an 8 year old (recently been referred to paediatrics for possible social communication/attention difficulties). I’m divorced, ex husband hasn’t been able to see them unsupervised for the last year+ and I work 4 days a week. I’m burning out and it’s having an impact on my mental health. I currently receive tax credits but wonder if I were to stop working, would I be put on unicorns all credit and would I be penalised for giving up work? I also have a mortgage so I wpilnst be entitled to any housing benefit.
    Mummy to 3

March Grocery Challenge: 152.06/£300
    Decluttered 59/2016 since Feb
    March NSDs 1/13
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Claiming Universal Credit and voluntarily resigning from a job may occur a sanction.

However, the reasons for doing so are paramount.

You would need to show good reason for doing so.

You can read all about it here:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/787447/admk2.pdf

Scroll down to K2140

Evidence may be required such as being unable to find suitable alternative childcare, evidence of child(ren)'s disabilities ( DLA or medical evidence) and, possibly, evidence from claimants' own doctor about claimant.

Each case would be individually considered by a decision maker.
  • Shortypie
    That’s really helpful (sorry to jump on the OPs post). However that seems to be for existing UC claimants. What about people on legacy benefits?
    Mummy to 3

March NSDs 1/13
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Shortypie wrote: »
    That’s really helpful (sorry to jump on the OPs post). However that seems to be for existing UC claimants. What about people on legacy benefits?

If you were to give up work then you would have to claim Universal Credit rather than a new legacy benefit.

If Universal Credit wasn't up and running for new claims you could have claimed CA (I am presuming your children receive DLA at least mid care) and Income support. Now you would have to claim UC.

What benefits are you currently claiming?
  • Shortypie
    I didn’t realise CA was going under UC. Currently I receive CTC
    Including disability premium, a little WTC. And DLA for the boys. So even if I were to reduce my hours enough to claim CA I’d have to go onto UC as the CA would be a new claim? There must be some darn way of getting a better balance, I can’t keep struggling on like this. I work in SEN and there are lots of clients who are single mothers who don’t work because of their child’s care needs, without getting sanctioned, it surely can’t be fair to penalise some just because they already have a job?
    Mummy to 3

March NSDs 1/13
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Shortypie wrote: »
    I didn’t realise CA was going under UC. Currently I receive CTC
    Including disability premium, a little WTC. And DLA for the boys. So even if I were to reduce my hours enough to claim CA I’d have to go onto UC as the CA would be a new claim? There must be some darn way of getting a better balance, I can’t keep struggling on like this. I work in SEN and there are lots of clients who are single mothers who don’t work because of their child’s care needs, without getting sanctioned, it surely can’t be fair to penalise some just because they already have a job?
    Carers Allowance is not part of UC. If you were to reduce your hours enough to claim CA you can't earn more than £123 per week after deductions. As you're currently receiving WTC then you must work at least 16 hours per week to continue to receive that.

If you do claim carers allowance then remember it's taxable income.

If you did give up work completely then pmlindyloo's advice above is correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure