Can you have two car insurance policies at the same time for one car?

Hi

I want to take out Home Insurance with LV, but they have the seemingly bizarre stipulation whereby they don't offer insurance if you have oil central heating... Unless you have car insurance with them! Very odd!

Anyhow, our car insurance with Admiral doesn't run out until the end of Feb, and I think it would work out cheaper to keep it running than it would to cancel it.

So if we went ahead, for the next 2-3 months we'd have two insurance policies on the same car. Is that allowed? is that a problem.

To throw an additional spanner into the works, I am currently the policy holder and my partner a named driver. On the new policy we'd want it the other way around...

Many thanks

Comments

• Have you had a car insurance quote from them to see how competitive they are?

Are LV the only insurer for your property?
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Re: two policies, no, you shouldn't have two policies on one car as potentially the two insurance companies argue who will deal with a claim, or how much each will pay.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • etienneg
    etienneg Posts: 468 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    There's no legal prohibition on having more than one policy at the same time. However, as mentioned above, there could be problems in the event of a claim.

Normally when something is insured twice the insurers have to split the claim, so there would be additional hassle dealing with both insurers and getting them to agree the same outcome, etc. However, changing the policy holder/additional driver would add further complication here, as they could both easily argue that one or the other policy was invalid due to false information (you can't both be the main driver!).

You must decide if this risk is worth saving the cancellation fee.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    etienneg wrote: »
    However, changing the policy holder/additional driver would add further complication here, as they could both easily argue that one or the other policy was invalid due to false information (you can't both be the main driver!).

The policyholder is not necessarily the main driver.
  • garth549
    garth549 Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Yes as above it can cause issues as they'll generally both have a term on the policy that says if there's another policy active then you must claim from that one! So both might refuse a claim.

They'd never get away with this on complaining to the ombudsman though and would likely have to split it 50/50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure