Jury Service.

I was called up for Jury Service, for October this year, although I got it deferred as I am in university living away from home couldn't make it.
My new date is July 2013, so I thought I'd be living at home again, although I have recently been offered to go to Australia for 3 months this summer June-August, and it is something I really want to do and this opportunity may be a once in a lifetime and I don't want to say no just because of a week in July where I have to do jury service.
Could I be excused or deferred again? Or is that it and I have to do it?
:jback after a break from comping, and ready to win!:j
good luck everyone

Comments

• Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You can only defer once in a 12 month period. I dont think they would except your trip as a legitimate reason for not being able to attend a second time.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 October 2012 at 2:32PM
    I was once called up for jury service and re-arranged my holiday plans. The day before I was informed that I was not required.

I have been advised to go to Doctor say you are so stressed about the prospect you cannot sleep etc and get a doctors note. This may be an urban myth? If I am called again, I will try anything to avoid my "civic duty".

I would not forgoe the trip of a lifetime on the off chance I may be called.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    As a last resort, I would pay the £1000 fine.
    Once your jury service is confirmed, you must turn up on the agreed start date. If you don’t, you could be fined £1,000.
    How long jury service lasts

Jury service usually lasts for up to 10 working days - but can be longer.
    Many trials last only 2 or 3 days, so you may be on a jury for another trial.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The easiest thing by far is just ring them and ask.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • I deferred my jury service when at university in 1999. They deferred til July and I was called up very quickly. Some other did not bother to turn up, got hauled before his lordship and walloped with the fine. As he was the high court, he told them where they could appeal his decision, the House of Lords. Needless to say, they were dismissed. Us, we hung our guilty one, got fed and watered for five days. His Lordship was a smoker, so each sitting lasted about forty minutes until fag break.
    I hvae nt snept th lst fw mntes writg ths post fr yu t cme alng hre nd agre wth m!

Cheers! :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,239 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I must be the only person in the country eligible to do jury service who would love to do it and has never been called.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    pimento wrote: »
    I must be the only person in the country eligible to do jury service who would love to do it and has never been called.
    Nope, me too. I think it'd be an interesting experience ... but I never get that letter.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Poppie68
    Poppie68 Posts: 4,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    missile wrote: »
    As a last resort, I would pay the £1000 fine.

Yep great idea just dont turn up to a mandatory order from the British Justice system, then find yourself in front of a judge yourself to explain why you never turned up and recieve a £1000 fine.

The fine is for a no show, not a get out clause.
  • nikki1520
    nikki1520 Posts: 510 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    and please remember the guy who said he was sick so couldn't go, who actually went to the theatre with his mum - he got a custodial sentance. Phone and ask!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure