Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Options

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Can we keep this on topic please to avoid pointless notifications?

Some of us like Duncan’s asides ;)
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 7 December 2019 at 10:09AM
    Options
    elljay wrote: »
    There never seems to be any choc and raspberry in my Lidl, just the other two. However I do really like the Espresso Caramel one, in fact this thread has reminded me that I have some in the freezer, will just have to have a couple of spoonsful now before getting back to the housework.

Daren't read the list of ingredients but it does seem pretty creamy, not grainy like some other lower cal icecreams.

Wise move

Low calorie ice cream typically contains:

* maltodextrin
    * erythritol,
    * steviol glycosides
    * Milk proteins
    * cream
    * sugar,
    * wheat flour
    * glycerol
    * guar gum
    * locust bean gum
    * potato starch
    * mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids
    * salt
    * egg powder
    * skimmed mik powder
    * flavourings
    *raising agent (ammonium carbonates)
    * May contain Soy

There are hundreds of low calorie ice cream recipes online that don’t need an ice cream machine and contain just a few ingredients and you don’t need a Chemistry degree to interpret.
  • sparky0138
    Options
    Clowance wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the Lidl yule log yet? I checked yesterday but only loads of stollen etc, which I dislike.

Never had one before but definitely on the look out now after seeing it came 2nd in a taste test by Good Housekeeping. 👍
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 December 2019 at 12:39PM
    Options
    Lidl seems to have pulled a fast one when it comes to their long life custard offerings. Its still available in tins, but the cartons have been pulled in favour of Ambrosia 750g for 99p.
    sparky0138 wrote: »
    Never had one before but definitely on the look out now after seeing it came 2nd in a taste test by Good Housekeeping. ��
    Faints at the No1 Paul offering: £36 for 800g?! Makes the Lidl £2 version half the size look like a bargain (although it is in fact not).

Eta: Cadburys is joint third? Its horrid.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,587 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Went to Lidl and got my chocolate marzipan at last and also chocolate coated stem ginger.:)

Good news too that the large jars of cornichons are back. :j

Disappointed that so much of the cheese is in slices. They used to do an excellent Emmental. :( I'll have to buy my some of my Christmas cheese in Sainsburys or Waitrose. Slices are all very well for sandwiches or burgers but not much use for a cheese board.

When I came to pay I remembered why I don't go there often. They could learn so much from Aldi about how to manage the check out.
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Went to Lidl yesterday, intending to buy just a few things and ended up spending £29, most of which was Christmas treats - pate 6 pots £3.99, Hogsback winter beer 500ml £1.20, biscuits, stollen.
    Not going to get slim at this rate.
  • VfM4meplse
    edited 13 December 2019 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Bit annoyed with Aldi yesterday evening; I'd seen the Prosecco frizzante on offer during the week and whilst i had the car out yesterday decided to load up at a non-local store. The red SEL was £3.99, but it came up as £5.99 at the till - which I declined (there are better fizzes available for less). Didn't have time or inclination to argue the toss but I'm wondering if its just sloppy store administration? I say this because there was a basket full of mince pies at last week's promotional price. I noticed in my store this week they were a different price altogether.

ETA: I've finally worked it out. The frizzante on offer looks very similar to the £5.99 version: the key difference is the screw cap vs cork. Plus online reviews are not brilliant so just buy a better product.

ETA 2: I've just seen it in for the same price in Lidl today.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • bhaskar
    bhaskar Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I like the aldi both in one bread, costs 50p

similar to kingsmill 50/50 but alot cheaper
  • charlies_mum
    Options
    Visited Aldi today and bought a trolley full. Bought two bunches of flowers £2.59 and peppers £1 all at half price. All went through at full price, so was overcharged £3. Had to go back to checkout to get it sorted.

Assumed it would go through automatically but it seems the checkout operator needs to manually adjust

Just beware if buying half price goods.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Visited Aldi today and bought a trolley full. Bought two bunches of flowers £2.59 and peppers £1 all at half price. All went through at full price, so was overcharged £3. Had to go back to checkout to get it sorted.

Assumed it would go through automatically but it seems the checkout operator needs to manually adjust

Just beware if buying half price goods.
    It is prudent to put all the red-and-white-stickered items at the start of the till belt, with the stickers face up. That way you can also monitor the prices as they go through before you're beaten by the scanning speed (inevitable with a big shop).

Same applies to orange stickers in Lidl.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure