Cheque from L&G

Options
I have received a cheque from L&G for just over £70.
What's the problem I can hear you scream, bank it and move on. Now I am not usually one to complain about people sending me money, but the covering letter said nothing to explain why they had sent me the money, other than, there was a system error.
I rang up and asked why I had been sent the money, what it was for and how was I to know if it was the correct amount.
They couldn't explain???

So I raised it as a complaint and eventually got a call back to say there had been a computer error and a 10% discount that should have been applied, hadn't been. The cheque was to cover two years worth of the discount, but no interest or compensation had been added.

Do I have a question?
I guess I am wondering if anyone else has been affected by this.
I am also interested to know if you think I am being unreasonable to ask for at least some interest to be paid?

TC

Comments

• SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Do I have a question?

You appear to have two.
    I guess I am wondering if anyone else has been affected by this.
    Probably have.
    I am also interested to know if you think I am being unreasonable to ask for at least some interest to be paid?

Depends on whether the £70 is the exact amount of the discount or whether they have included an amount as a goodwill gesture or rounded it up.

Interest on that amount is likely to be under £1. Have you not got anything better to do?
  • TCDown
    TCDown Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess I should apologise for asking two questions. I wont though!
    The money refunded was only the discount, with nothing added.
    Just trying to find out how common this is with L&G.
    My money, my decision whether to chase it or not.

I guess your attitude tells me if you think I am being unreasonable or not!!
  • nick74
    nick74 Posts: 829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What would you like to be compensated for? The error doesn't appear to have impacted your life in any way whatsoever until they told you about it?
  • TCDown
    Options
    Suprised at the comments regarding the money being insignificant.
    Just because there is no knowledge, doesn't mean there is no impact? Maybe I am looking for compensation for those times where my money would be better in errrrr my pocket! If some one claims against missold PPI, isn't interest added? If I borrow money from the bank, isn't interest added? What's the difference, they have overcharged me for two years.

You may be financially stable, but I am in a DMP with creditors and £3pm would have helped at times.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just because there is no knowledge, doesn't mean there is no impact? Maybe I am looking for compensation for those times where my money would be better in errrrr my pocket!

Compensation is to put you back in the position you would have been. So, have you been off work or lost a limb?
    If some one claims against missold PPI, isn't interest added?
    Statutory interest is added because it was missold. Your insurance was not missold. It was a clerical error. They offered you the price at purchase/renewal and you accepted that price. They later found they should have offered you a greater discount. Not missold.
    You may be financially stable, but I am in a DMP with creditors and £3pm would have helped at times.

How much is it costing you to ask for an extra £1-£2? did you phone in using their local rate number or did you post it in with a stamp?
  • TCDown
    Options
    I thank you for your willingness to stand up for the little guy.

I may be arguing with them over a couple of quid, you sir are spending the time to disect my posts with your opinions for free?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The main initial worry would reasonably have been that it was an error, and that if you just banked it and went out for a meal on the proceeds in a few weeks time they would have demanded it back again.
    You have had it confirmed in writing that it is not a mistake, so take it and move on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure