Probate and executor

I am joint executor of my fathers will but I have not been consulted with the other executor. He has taken this upon himself to sort out with no involvement from me. I have contacted him about this and he no longer wants to have any contact with me again. He has closed all accounts, put property on market, sold belongings without my knowledge. Probate has now been granted and all bills, etc have been paid and the money is in an account ready to be divided as in his will. For the last few weeks I have been waiting for this money, which I have no access to at all. Surely this cannot be correct as the money should have been put in an executors account and not an account in one of the executors names. I have tried liaising with the solicitor but he will not give me any advice only that the money is in a bank ready to be shared equally. Does anyone have any advice they can give.

Comments

• SevenOfNine
    SevenOfNine Posts: 2,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Who is the other executor, & what do you mean by "the solicitor", whose?

Bit puzzled as to how probate was granted if you were an executor named in the will. Did you sign anything reserving or renouncing the role, which allowed the other executor to go ahead with everything without your involvement?
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • It’s my sibling-I signed at the beginning when first went to solicitors but never seen any details of monies. The solicitor was sorting out probate but when I asked to see all details, bank statements etc I was told the other executor has them. I asked the solicitor was this legal and he wouldn’t comment!
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    He should not been able to obtain probate alone unless you agreed to either renounce or reserved your powers. What exactly did you sign at the solicitors?

If the solicitor was sorting out probate the money will be sitting in their client account rather than your sibling’s
  • We have been granted probate. The money is not with the solicitor but in one of my brothers own accounts. I signed when he passed away months ago at the solicitors to apply for it. The solicitor does not have the money as I have stated.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    We have been granted probate. The money is not with the solicitor but in one of my brothers own accounts. I signed when he passed away months ago at the solicitors to apply for it. The solicitor does not have the money as I have stated.

So if your brother has passed away, how could he be liaising with you now? Totally baffled!
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,617 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    We have been granted probate. The money is not with the solicitor but in one of my brothers own accounts. I signed when he passed away months ago at the solicitors to apply for it. The solicitor does not have the money as I have stated.

Signed what, exactly?
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure