On-grid domestic battery storage

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Extract from this weeks Carbon Commentary newsletter:
    4, Household PV, battery, electric car. Sonnen, the Shell-owned battery supplier with large operations in several countries including Australia and the US, announced a new offer for German customers. It will rent a solar system, battery, electricity and electric car to households for a fixed monthly fee that is said to be no higher than the customer’s current bill. The minimum term for the car is just six months, helping to reduce customer anxieties over any risk from acquiring an EV. As with Green Mountain Power (note 1), the finances work for Sonnen because it controls when the battery discharges and charges.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Hi all,
    Wonder if anybody has any experience with this challenge.
    I am working on a project for a friend who has purchased a gen 1 24kwh Nissan leaf battery batch. He has a huge solar array for uk domestic of 38 panels of 18 panels east and 20 panels west, using micro-inverters. He has purchased a 5kwp hybrid inverter with the intention of using the east facing array which gives 6.45kwp to charge the battery bank. The issue we are having is that in order to retain full FIT hence recording generation from both strings, it would need either an additional single phase solar generation meter or maybe a 4 wire three phase solar generation meter.
    Thanks for any inspiration
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seath wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Wonder if anybody has any experience with this challenge.
    I am working on a project for a friend who has purchased a gen 1 24kwh Nissan leaf battery batch. He has a huge solar array for uk domestic of 38 panels of 18 panels east and 20 panels west, using micro-inverters. He has purchased a 5kwp hybrid inverter with the intention of using the east facing array which gives 6.45kwp to charge the battery bank. The issue we are having is that in order to retain full FIT hence recording generation from both strings, it would need either an additional single phase solar generation meter or maybe a 4 wire three phase solar generation meter.
    Thanks for any inspiration
    My initial thoughts are that an AC inverter harvesting power from both strings would be a better option as it wouldn't affect the FIT.

How do you plan to install the hybrid inverter to a string that already has micro inverters?
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Yes, upgrading the hybrid inverter is one way, an expensive way!
    Regarding the microinverters - It wasn't until I looked at what Miles had bought that alarm bells started ringing. However the get around for having AC output from the panels was to use the inverters 'AC generator input terminals.
  • 1961Nick
    1961Nick Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Seath wrote: »
    Yes, upgrading the hybrid inverter is one way, an expensive way!
    Regarding the microinverters - It wasn't until I looked at what Miles had bought that alarm bells started ringing. However the get around for having AC output from the panels was to use the inverters 'AC generator input terminals.
    In that case, can't you fit the inverter on the grid side of the generation meter?
    4kWp (black/black) - Sofar Inverter - SSE(141°) - 30° pitch - North Lincs
    Installed June 2013 - PVGIS = 3400
    Sofar ME3000SP Inverter & 5 x Pylontech US2000B Plus & 3 x US2000C Batteries - 19.2kWh
  • Apologies if this has been posted previously but trawling through the OVO site I came across the link below. Seems like they are offering a 5kW Sonnen battery free to anyone prepared to sign up for a two year trial. The only downside being that you have to reside in Linconshire.:eek:
    ;)

https://www.ovoenergy.com/home-energy-storage
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Apologies if this has been posted previously but trawling through the OVO site I came across the link below. Seems like they are offering a 5kW Sonnen battery free to anyone prepared to sign up for a two year trial. The only downside being that you have to reside in Linconshire.:eek:
    ;)

That looks like a great deal, particularly as during the summer months its pretty much all yours and 5kw should be enough to see most people through the night during the summer and even out the daytime use.

Entering the twilight zone over here for a month, although to be fair most of the weekends 5kwh went into the batteries as I was out so at least mostly everything I generate at the minute is being used at home.
    Back to the fast kettle as of 2 weeks ago, no point using the slow low start one now as theres usually not enough in the battery to make it worthwhile waiting ;-)
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Apologies if this has been posted previously but trawling through the OVO site I came across the link below. Seems like they are offering a 5kW Sonnen battery free to anyone prepared to sign up for a two year trial. The only downside being that you have to reside in Linconshire.:eek:
    ;)

How come all these trials are only in the the south east of England ??
    Not that I'm bitter or anything. :)
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I know you live "north of the border" but I am not sure most of us would call Lincolnshire the south east of the UK as a whole, let alone just England :undecided:undecided
  • EVandPV
    EVandPV Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    pinnks wrote: »
    I know you live "north of the border" but I am not sure most of us would call Lincolnshire the south east of the UK as a whole, let alone just England :undecided:undecided
    Central eastern England then ?? :think:
    Scott in Fife, 2.9kwp pv SSW facing, 2.7kw Fronius inverter installed Jan 2012 - 14.3kwh Seplos Mason battery storage with Lux ac controller - Renault Zoe 40kwh, Corsa-e 50kwh, Zappi EV charger and Octopus Go
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback